Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,198   Online: 1157

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grainy Tmax 400!

Hello!

I took my Olymus Stylus to a wedding to get some candid shots. My normal film is 100 Tmax and has always works well for me. I loaded up with 400 Tmax because the wedding was indoors at night and that on-board flash is on the enemic side. The local lab souped the film in Tmax developer and I was surprised how grainy they look---almost like the Tri-X circa 1970's "gritty" journalism genre, only worse. Since I use Tmax in 8x10 and I'm quite happy with it in situations that call for great reciprocity characteristics, I really have't played with it much in 35mm. What I'd like to know is...well...like is it suppossed to be so grainy? Or do I need to find another lab to develop my B&W 35mms?
    TIA

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have never been happy with "lab" development of B&W film - it is too easy and too cheap to do your own - no darkroom needed - just a closet and a few chemicals and a tank - try some split d-23 - it is really hard to screw that up. You can always get a "lab" to do your prints later.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Probably because you're shooting Tmax at ISO 400. When I use my Stylus Epic II, I usually modify the DX markings to reflect ISO 250 and get great results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    john

i would find a different lab

i've not used tmax developer in ages ( since 1991<?>) but all the rolls i have shot with tmax 400 and run through tmax-rs - none ever came out grainy ....

good luck !

john

Images
    My guess would be underexposed negs, poorly developed by the lab.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    TMY just has lumpy looking grain in small format, in my opinion. People who really like TMY often seem to be shooting it in large format.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think that TMY has the lowest graininess and highest true speed of all the 400 speed films, including Delta 400, but that's just my opinion based on the techniques I use - clearly it isn't everyone's experience with TMY. Like Brian says: maybe the lab messed it up / is there any possibility that it was overexposed?

Why not consider using a C-41 B&W film if you are going to get it lab processed. Maybe Ilford XP-2 if it's going to be printed as if it is silver-image B&W film, Kodak BW400CN if it is going to printed on RA-4 paper, colour or B&W. Of course, if you are going to use a lab that has RA-4 B&W paper, Portra 800 pushed two and rated at 2000 would be a good choice and you might be able to forget the flash. Try some. Low graininess and lots of latitude.

Best,
    Helen
    Last edited by Helen B; 11-21-2004 at 10:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Good Morning, John,

I agree with those who suggest a processing problem. I've done 35mm T-Max 400 in both HC-110B and T-Max developers and found no graininess problem in moderately- sized (up to 8 x 10) prints. Obviously, the 35mm T-400 can't match the same stuff in larger sizes, but results should be far superior to those with Tri-X.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bulk load the stuff in 35mm, shoot it at 1600 and drown it in Xtol.
    Imitation cameras come with big egos, real cameras do not include accessories.

Ahhh, my lowly snaps look nothing---absolutely nothing like the thumbnails but more like something from 1937 L.A.Times. It must be the lab. Thyanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin