Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,516   Posts: 1,572,128   Online: 1114

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    ^
    1. I don't have any instant coffee, powdered Vitamin C or washing soda in my house. I could go to a supermarket and buy them.

2. If I didn't have any sulfite or metol around the house I could order them online and have them delivered to my door.

Crunching numbers for the above two choices results in:

1. Getting dressed, going out to my car, driving to market, finding instant coffee, powdered C (if they have any) and washing soda. Getting in line and then paying for it and drving home.

VS

2. Ordering sulfite and metol online, waiting for it it arrive, opening front door and picking up the chems.

Sorry, but D23 still wins as easier. And it still smells better too.

Now, if I already had instant coffee, powdered vitamin C and washing soda in my house it's true that I could simply use them but only because the effort expended to obtain these ingredients was already expended so it really can't be claimed to be less effort to obtain them.

And, I suppose one could order instant coffee, powdered vitamin C and washing soda online too which might seem to even out the effort except that lifting them would require more effort than lifting the sulfite and metol, not to mention the greater shipping costs involved with the grocery store ingredients.

So D23 still wins.

different strokes for different folks ...

i've been mixing my own developer from scratch since the 90s

i have chems on the shelf to make d23, as well as mortenson's glycin variant and a few others ...
    but haven't had any reason to use them ...
    i roast ( or not this time around ) the beans, shake in the other chemicals
    and use the chemistry for 3-6 months without mixing new ...
    process film and prints in it ... its a pretty easy all purpose universal developer.

but i can see why folks would say " d23 " or d76 " or "xyz " is better ... its because they are used to it
    and have no reason to switch ...

Shooter
    35mm
    ^ Thank you for missing the point so eloquently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BobD View Post
    ^ Thank you for missing the point so eloquently.

i suppose i did miss your point, what was it ?

to use coffee developers you have to expend energy to purchase the supplies,
    and it takes less effort to wait for metol or sulfite to arrive from artcraft of the formulary?

it costs a few cents to get coffee c and soda when you are grocery shopping ..
    while shipping charges from the formulary and artcraft are in the dollar amounts ...

or was it .. caffenol smells bad ?

yup, it smells bad
    Last edited by jnanian; 04-24-2012 at 01:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin