Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,550   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FP4 Plus - First Impressions

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in Quebec City so I decided to take my C220 down to the Plains of Abraham and shoot some.

I have been shooting almost exclusively Delta 100 and 400, but decided to try some FP4 Plus for a change. I deliberately chose situations of extreme light and dark to see what latitude it has. Wow! Am I ever impressed! Although I have very little experience in these things, my first impression is that the FP4 is much more flexible and forgiving of extremes than is the Delta. All of my frames turned out, even the ones in which the Delta would have failed.

I'm going to print some today to see how the prints differ, but so far I'm quite impressed.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer HP5, FP4 and Pan F to the Deltas. Especially Pan F. They seem to be more forgiving on both exposure and development. IMO they also have better tonality. Now, if I were only good enough to take maximun advantage of all that...

Honestly, I DO keep a few rolls of Delta 3200 around just for fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, Kent, I agree!
    I started off shooting HP5, then FP4. Then someone said "use Delta 100" so I tried that. (I do like delta 100 shot @ 50). But I was amazed with the FP4 I shot in the Hassy! Wow! Of course I could just be smitten by those larger negs! haha But FP4 is now in my 'arsenal'!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am rapidly becoming an FP4 addict. I regularly shoot it at 64ASA, with some very nice results.,

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Count me as another FP4 fan. Matter of fact, it's about the only thing I shoot in MF these days, and HP5 for 35mm (handheld). EI of 64 and 200, respectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is HP5 to Delta 400 what FP4 is to Delta 100?

What is Pan F like in general terms compared to the Deltas?

Thanks,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    Is HP5 to Delta 400 what FP4 is to Delta 100?
    In my experience, YES. Unless you absolutely need the finer grain of the Deltas, the "old" films are supreme. Tonality and flexibility are so much better that I have settled on "classic" films only.

Pan-F is finer-grained, maybe not quite as forgiving as FP4. I won't compare it to Delta - they're too different.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pan F; FP4+; HP5+ are also my ammunitions of choice with Delta 3200 or Tmax P3200 if I need the faster stuff. I occasionally shoot other films these days just in case we lose the beloved Ilford. Generally I only use Delta 100 or 400 when experimenting as it doesn't seem to like me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I spent a bit of time in the darkroom today and made some quick prints. At first blush, the FP4 seems to have more range, but lower contrast than the Delta 100. Delta 100 seems to have more contrast and 'punch' but is a lot less tolerant of extremes.

I can see how one would vary depending on the effect wanted.

I can see now that I'm going to have to go out and shoot a whole bunch more FP4...Just to see how it works...But honey, I'm conducting photographic experiments

Kent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power
    I can see now that I'm going to have to go out and shoot a whole bunch more FP4...Just to see how it works...But honey, I'm conducting photographic experiments

Kent
    The best way to test film is by using a good figure model for the shots, so you can be assured of getting good, subtle tonal variations and a variety of texture to check resolution. That approach also fits well with your explanation to the spousal unit.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin