Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,816   Online: 741

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a strong solutionofsodium sulfite(10%) is indeed a stop bath for sulphide toner.however,a weak solution of sodium sulfite(<5%) fails to stop sulphide toning.hca contains only2% sodium sulfite,and as such, is not strong enough to stop sulphide toning.mix your own or use time to controlthe level of toningusing hca will be better tan using no toner stop at all.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's a helpful distinction, Ralph. I'll have to try it. I couldn't detect any difference between typical working strength HCA and plain water at all. But with toning there's always a bit of unknown, which is perhaps part of the magic of seeing the final result, and how two prints will almost never come out
    exactly the same - sometimes you'll get several nice ones, but each special in its own way. But I
    guess that comes with the territory of aiming for subtle nuances, versus artsy-craftsy over-the-top technique.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Ralph.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like toning in the wash.
    In 4 liter I put 50ml of Polysulfide sometime less. I put the print just a few seconds then let it sit in a holding tray.
    It already builds up. Then in the wash. Love it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am happy to report, I HAVE MY WORK DONE!

I took everyone's advise and sort of combined them into one. Selenium for 2 minutes and complete wash. Brown for 4.5 minutes and rapid dip into a water tray with running water to quickly remove the toner. Then into an archival washer for 60 minutes. The result is an even and controlled BEAUTIFUL brown tone! EXACTLY the way I wanted it.

Doing it the old way, blooming was uncontrolled and upon close inspection, I noticed way too much uneven toning for my liking. Furthermore, level of toning was unmanageable and uncontrolled.

It took me half a box of paper to get this far but I'm quite satisfied with this result.

Thank you everyone for your assistance!

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    congratulations!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By the way, I finally got my chems, so I tested 10% Sodium Sulfite solution as a stop bath. It really works. In fact, I can overshoot by just a little and this solution seems to bring it back a little.

The action was immediate. BAM! I left it in there for 30 seconds just in case.

Interesting....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are using it as the bottle says your toner is way, WAY too strong.

Following a suggestion from Drew Wiley here I started out using it at 1/4 strength. That's nice, but still too fast (he said he rarely tones more than 20 seconds with that strength.) I started mixing it 1/8th strength, 1/8 ounce to a quart of water. This was perfect for me. My typical toning times are about 45 seconds - 1 minute but I am NOT going for a "fully toned sepia like look." If I am, I'll go back to 1/4 strength and tone for about the same time.

Mix 1/8th strength. Tone for less time than you think you'll need, because you can't stop it suddenly. If you tone until it looks right, it will go farther but the time you wash. You can always tone more. With 1/8th strength tone for about 20-30 seconds, remove the print and IMMEDIATELY plop it into a large tray of water. DO NOT DRAIN. The toning goes fast enough that if you drain the print, you will get streaks.

Toning will still continue a while in the water bath, and a bit after that in a running water wash. Wash 2-5 minutes before HCA. If you like, you can let it dry to inspect the final tone including dry down, then either tone again or stop there and HCA+final wash.

Here's a print on Ilford MGWT developed in Ilford WT developer and toned 50 seconds in 1/8th strength brown toner:

T. Allen Greenfield 1 - MGIVWT+Brown Toner by Roger Cole, on Flickr

And here's a print on the same paper and developer, toned for 40 seconds in 1/4 strength toner:

Alicia Park Bench - Toned1 by Roger Cole, on Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oops, scrolling back I see you already solved your problem two months ago. Sorry I missed that. Oh well, the above is my experience and shows my results so in time to come if someone searches on brown toner maybe they will benefit. Congrats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger,

My understanding is that polysurfide toner SPEEDS UP at higher dilutions. Wouldn't diluting more like you do, actually speed up the process rather than slow down?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin