Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,762   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Guys, sorry, I have no control over ads.
    Perhaps Bill and I were not clear in our communications with them.
    Alert them by sending them an e-mail.
    PE
    I just checked, and PhotoFormulary has changed (and improved) their ad. The reference to T-max is gone, which is an improvement since it no longer implies that the fixer is unsuitable for other films. Their ad is longer and well done IMO. However, amazon.com says this:

TF-5 is an extraordinary fixer for both paper and some films.

*Some* films? What ones is it not suitable for? It looks like the ad in amazon needs to be fixed.

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All films.

Another myth to be dispelled. Fixer is fixer is fixer regardless of film. Some do leave a tint due to dyes in the film, but this can be dispelled by the use of longer fix and wash times. It is not retained sliver halides or complexes. As for paper, fixer is fixer is fixer again. The thing to be aware of in all cases is that acidic fixers can etch your image with long contact with the fixer solution so don't leave film or prints in acidic fixers for extended times. (Even if you do, you probably won't see a difference unless you do a direct comparison with another print that had a shorter fix time.)

Paper fixers are generally used at 1/2 the strength (or 2x dilution) when compared to film fixers.

See, no big mystery. Just overcomplication by some people.

I'm glad that the Formulary people saw what was needed and made a change. I have not looked at it.

PE

I am sure that it is a great product Ron....however, when I accessed the PF site and noted the cost of shipping, I decided that another fixer would have to suffice. Over 30 dollars shipping for one gallon to my location. Unfortunately, the price of TF5 plus shipping has become simply too expensive for me to use; I will have to stay with Ilford Rapid Fix or plain Sodium Thiosulfate crystals .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let the Formulary know about this. It is good information.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahler_one View Post
    I am sure that it is a great product Ron....however, when I accessed the PF site and noted the cost of shipping, I decided that another fixer would have to suffice. Over 30 dollars shipping for one gallon to my location. Unfortunately, the price of TF5 plus shipping has become simply too expensive for me to use; I will have to stay with Ilford Rapid Fix or plain Sodium Thiosulfate crystals .
    I recently reordered some TF-4 (I was also confused by the description of TF-5 and decided to stick with the older product, which still seems to work fine for me). I almost didn't because of the high shipping charge. Then I went to the Digital Truth site, ordered the same products, and the shipping was $10 less. What really makes this nonsensical is that the order was drop-shipped by Formulary. So it was coming from the same place either way, it just cost less to order it from someone else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the benefit of TF-5 over, say, Kodak Rapid Fixer? Or any other fixer? I see that stated fix times are 30 seconds and 60 seconds for RC and Fiber prints, respectively ... but I tend to fix film and prints for longer than necessary, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, you shouldn't fix longer than necessary, particularly with prints, but that's another story.

The biggest difference is wash time. This can be really helpful with fiber papers. Standard rapid fixers are acidic. TF4 is alkaline. TF5 is ~neutral. Washing is much faster than with acidic rapid fixers.

Capacities and keeping properties are excellent too.

For films developed in staining developers, although it is still a debtable issue and depends on the developer, the conventional wisdom is to keep the process alkaline or neutral after development for maximum stain.

I agree completely...in addition, if one orders some Formulary items from B&H the price for shipping is also less. Moreover, sometimes B&H has free shipping. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

I had the same reservations Michael, and that's why I posed the question to Ron. I think most of us would agree that Ron's knowledge of photochemisty would surpass that of most of us. However, I called Formulary last year, and asked about the affect of TF5 on Azo papers developed in Amidol. The person who answered was unable to provide an answer, and until the affect was known, suggested that it would be best to eschew the use of TF5 when using such materials. Perhaps Ron would like to chime in again?

I wonder about the wash times.....Ilford's permanence sequence using their Rapid Fix does not indicate that the wash time with FB papers needs to be inordinately long. Is Ilford Rapid Fix acidic?

Ilford Rapid Fixer is indeed acidic.

http://www.darkroom.ru/info/manuals/...manual_eng.pdf

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin