Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,946   Posts: 1,585,914   Online: 1042

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    my fix times were never that slow ...
    but i only used tf5 once, mixed it with
    distilled water as recommended and
    it reeked of ammonia so much i stopped using it
    and went back to sprint fixer.
    haven't used anything but spring ( except for tf5 ) since about 1981 ...
    fixes fast and a huge capacity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pstake;

I suggest that you contact the Formulary. You may get some help there.

Is the mean time, is this a recent purchase? Can we get the batch number from the bottle?

John;

TF-5 should be slightly acidic and should NOT have an ammonia odor John. It was designed to avoid that problem which was present with TF-4.

Something odd going on here.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was seriously considering making the switch as I'll need to order more fixer soon (been using Koday RF, was thinking of ordering Freestyle's house brand which I can get in 5 gallon size) and was just wondering what these conservative recommended wash times were like, how they compared to my current times with RF+Hypo Clear, when I saw the bit about long fix times for film.

I could just as easily go on using RF for film and TF5 for paper. For that matter I've always used hardener for my films. Yes, I know, modern films are pre-hardened and that only applies while the film is wet, but I've been reluctant to test that. I also have a nearly full box of 100 sheet 4x5 Efke that I got with another purchase, basically thrown in, and wanted to try and hardener is usually with Efke.

So what are the conservative recommended wash times for TF5 with papers? And if I extend its use to film what are the usual fix times? 30 minutes is clearly absurd - I just wouldn't use it if it took that long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the Formulary stuffer sheet!

Wash fiber-based papers for at least 15 minutes - up to 25 minutes. Wash resin coated papers at least 3 minutes - up to 5.

Note: To establish proper washing times for your system we recommend testing processed emulsions with our Formulary Residual Hypo Test kit (cat. no. 03-0150). Since every darkroom has a different washing system (i.e. from hose in tray to archival print washer) our recommended wash times are approximate. Please test your system for wash times.

Fix T-Max film for 6 minutes, with 5 inversions once a minute; or fix for 4 minutes with 30 seconds of agitation per minute. With other films, fix only 3 to 4 minutes.

I have tested this with T-Max and Tri-X as well as Ilford MGIV papers and have 5 year tests on the fix/wash data. If anyone gets anything different (longer fix or wash times), then something is seriously wrong. Note the comment about water supply. This is the single biggest variable.

I also suggest using a residual silver test kit to ensure good fixation. I use it all the time.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, i use tap water. Our water here in Lincoln, Nebraska, is hard. But it's not that hard. It's at least not as hard as where I used to live on the border of Northern New Mexico and Arizona. But it's probably hard enough to affect the fixer. That said, I am not exaggerating when I say 30 minutes fix time. I fixed for 15 minutes with normal agittaion (10 inversions the first minute, four inverstions per minute thereafter) for 15 minutes, and it was foggy. I then put it in a clear glass container and filled the container with fix, last time. As always, YMMV.

Ron, I will get back to you with the batch number of my Fixer. My guess is that it's just because we have hard water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron, there is a number 1049 in the top left corner of the back label. I assume that is the batch number.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Inform the Formulary. I will run some tests here and inquire about the batch #.

IDK how the batch #s are set up there, so all I can do is go through them. I have tested authentic hand mixed TF-5 and it does NOT take 30' with any film! I do know that Sherry was on vacation last week, and IDK what the score is this week. I'll stay on top of this.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Those are still longer times for film than I use with RF. I may try this for paper and stick with RF for film. Thanks for the info - that stuff isn't on the Formulary site. Freestyle has a link to the MSDS but not the info sheet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The info sheet is apparently on the Formulary site and a copy is packed with every bottle (I am told). The times, as you asked, are the conservative values. Give it your own test.

Pe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Humm, if it's on the site it a link wasn't listed with the item description, which is where I'd expect it. I can look again but I have the info now. I presumed I'd get it with an order, just wanted an idea to help with buying decisions.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin