Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,615   Online: 671

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Krueger View Post
    Covering the developer with another tray is the way to go. But not upside down. Float the second tray right side up on top of the developer. It's easy if it is exactly the same kind of tray as the developer tray. By doing that, you are drastically reducing the amount of surface area exposed to air, thereby minimizing oxidation. I do this whenever I take a break of an hour or more.
    I posted a comment similar to yours earlier today but it obviously became a fatal victim in the big database crash. I can do nothing but completely agree with you. I have used this method for more than ten years and it works just fine. Sometimes I can keep the chemicals for more than a month. If I am about to make exhibition quality prints I use to mix fresh solutions, just to be safe.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have some proofs in the gallery today that was printed with 500ml dektol stock over a period of 11 days.

The developer was left out the entire time, covered with saran in contact with the liquid.

I printed maybe 75 proofs over 11 days, in 3 separate sessions.

F5.6 for 10s, dektol at 75f for 90s on day one.
    F5.6 for 10s, dektol at 75f for 90s on day eleven.

Developer at 75f has very little dissolved oxygen. Cover it with saran in contact with the liquid, where will the oxygen come from? For big trays, I cut up kitchen bags.

Dumping it into a bottle, you might as well put it in a blender.

I might add, eleven days is not the longest I've left dektol in a tray, and it was still good when I dumped it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember working in a darkroom where the stop bath and developer were left out all the time. At the end of a long day of printing, I'd dump the developer. We'd change the indicator stop bath them it turned purple and the fix when hypo check indicated when we had to dump the fixer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much extra time is required to pour the solutions into bottles. I do it in 5 minutes.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin