Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,237   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Leaving dev trays out overnite?

Sorry haven't seen this answered before: Sometimes i develop at nite, and then the next day. Is it ok to leave the chems out
    in trays overnite? (bathroom/darkroom kind of a hassle to take it all down each time).
    How long would the chems last? I imagine developer (Tmax or Dexktol) would go bad first?
    thanks
    ez

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've done it, but I cover them with Saran Wrap, if they'll be left overnight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About a day is the limit as far as I can tell.

I often work at night, go to bed and finish in the morning. I haven't had any problems with doing it that way.

I also cover my trays. Just use an empty tray, upside down.

If you're just practicing or doing routine work, I see no problem with keeping your chems overnight but, if you're trying to do your best work, just replace it.

Dektol starts to change color and get darker when it's beginning to expire. If you let it go completely bad, it will look like coffee.
    Just watch the color. When it starts to get darker, that's your signal.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It can be rough on the trays - especially the developer tray.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen some gnarly developing trays from this approach as they stain and wear easier. But I have never seen them negatively affect the prints. As long as you cover them somehow, I see no problem as long as you don't plan on reusing it for a prolonged length of time. I have one of those big tanks with the spout and a floating lid, so for the 5 seconds it takes to dump it in (even my 20x24 trays), I see no point in leaving it out and diminishing the life of the developer from exposure to oxygen. I can use the same 2 gallons of developer for maybe a month, but if I left it overnight a few times it would be pretty close to done. Economically, not the best idea.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Exposure to air causes oxidisation of the developer. In a tray, there is a much greater exposed surface to volume ratio than there would be in a bottle so it oxidises quicker.

A close fitting lid or cover will help.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only worry about developer left open to air. I will place a sheet of Saran wrap or place an empty tray into the developer tray and clean up tomorrow. A soaking of a strong mixture of Clorax will clean the stain from the tray.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Covering the developer with another tray is the way to go. But not upside down. Float the second tray right side up on top of the developer. It's easy if it is exactly the same kind of tray as the developer tray. By doing that, you are drastically reducing the amount of surface area exposed to air, thereby minimizing oxidation. I do this whenever I take a break of an hour or more.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Print Developer:
    Yeah, cover them and see it the print still comes up in a reasonable amount of time compared to fresh. I find open trays of Dektol go off after about 5 hours or so, and so can define a single printing session.

Film Developer:
    You only get one chance with film. I wouldn't leave more active film developers out (of unstoppered bottles) at all. I use all film developers one–shot, anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    developer left in an open tray overnightwill go bad faster thab in a bottle plus you may not like the smell it leaves in the room.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin