Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,777   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Efke 820, educate me please!

I took a trip to photography mecca last week (B&H) and picked up a few rolls of Efke "Aurora" 820, one 35mm and 2 120 to play with. So someone give me a crash course please. How are you shooting/developing these?

There is a lot of "data" on the web, but it seems most of what I see relating to exposure never references development. I've seen suggestions to rate the film anywhere from 1.5 ISO to 25 ISO with an R72 filter. That's 5 stops difference, and ??? how development affects that. I have D76, HC-110, Diafine, and Perceptol in stock. I'm not particularly concerned with exposure time as long as it isn't into minutes.

I'd love to hear some of your experiences with shooting and developing this film. At $13/roll I'd like to minimize the experiments!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    the massive development chart has times for many developers. you'll need to run your own tests though as you're going to get dozens of suggestions and we don't know how you're printing it.
    I rate it at 1.5 in bright sun. Bracketing is for sissies.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Time of year and location will vary amount of ir, guess n'test is the only real option.

Sent using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the quick replies. So those that have shot it find the MDC times and ISO's to be accurate? I realize one has to bracket unless one has a lightmeter actually modified for IR, but I plan on shooting mostly in bright sun so IR levels should be reliable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I haven't used the film very often, but I did find the emulsion unusually sticky and dust-prone after development. I suspect that I was careless and let the temperature of the wash get too high, but I have also read that a hardening fixer might help.

Where I was able to clear the negatives, though, the results were very satisfying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I've used one roll of the 120 non-aura version. Using a 720 nM filter, my results pointed toward using an incident reading at ISO 100 and increasing exposure about six stops (about ISO 1.5). I developed in HC110 dil E (1+47) for 9 minutes at 68ºF. This was just a quick follow-up after running several rolls of the Rollei IR400 on a little project. I have some more EFKE 820 in the fridge that I'll get back to "sometime this summer."

I believe the aura/non-aura is just a matter of antihalation coating, so development should be the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    1.5 with a R72. MDC is right on. In bright sun, maybe iso 2 if you want to keep some of your highlights, but seems IR shooters don't like em...
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the R72 filter, I find that one second at f16 is about right in bright sun. I don't try to use a light meter as they don't read IR.
    For developing I've used Ilford Ilfosol 3, diluted 1:9 for about seven minutes. I too had trouble with dust with the EFKE film, but the tonality is great. I tried Rollei IR, and had no problems, but I don't think the IR effect is quite as strong. It is a nice film though
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The more intense IR effect of the Efke was why I chose that over the Rollei.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't own an IR modified meter.
    While I've read about them, my results don't require one at this point. Don't forget about reciprocity after 1 second. That's been covered elsewhere.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin