Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,709   Online: 950

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Everclear OK for dissolving Phenidone?

I find the use of Everclear something a lot use in wet plate/ambrotype processing. Is it OK to use for dissolving phenidone as well? A bit safer around the house than some other alcohols as this one can be imbibed for 'medicinal' purposes, if nothing else... maybe I can write it off on taxes as a medicine???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It should be fine only if you don't plan to keep your phenidone for a long time

Everclear is Ethanol at a medium concentration and it has a lot of water into it.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently acquired some dimezone-s (phenidone variant) to make some pyrocat-hd and it dissolved fairly quickly in water after the previous 2 ingredients (metabisulphite and pyrocatechol). It can be hard to get, but might become easier as more people want it. You need to use a bit more (+27%) because of its higher molecular weight (206 as against 162 for phenidone). It is supposed to make a longer lasting solution, if that is important or useful for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    I recently acquired some dimezone-s (phenidone variant) to make some pyrocat-hd and it dissolved fairly quickly in water after the previous 2 ingredients (metabisulphite and pyrocatechol). It can be hard to get, but might become easier as more people want it. You need to use a bit more (+27%) because of its higher molecular weight (206 as against 162 for phenidone). It is supposed to make a longer lasting solution, if that is important or useful for you.
    Both Phenidone and Dimezone-s dissolve nicely in Propylene Glycol (and the pyrocatechol and metabisulfite as well). The Propylene Glycol stock solutions made with either type of Phenidone last for a very, very long time.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Both Phenidone and Dimezone-s dissolve nicely in Propylene Glycol (and the pyrocatechol and metabisulfite as well). The Propylene Glycol stock solutions made with either type of Phenidone last for a very, very long time.
    Tom, have you made up Pyrocat-HD solution_A with propylene glycol instead of water? Sounds like a good idea, especially for me because i prefer to mix chemicals very infrequently. Do you have to heat it above room temp? I admit to some (possibly unfounded) prejudice towards cooking developing agents.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Tom, have you made up Pyrocat-HD solution_A with propylene glycol instead of water? Sounds like a good idea, especially for me because i prefer to mix chemicals very infrequently. Do you have to heat it above room temp? I admit to some (possibly unfounded) prejudice towards cooking developing agents.
    Pyrocat-HD mixed in propylene glycol is my standard developer and has been since 2003. I'm just getting ready to mix up another liter of the "A" solution.

All of the A solution components dissolve in propylene glycol between 140F and 160F. All the components in this developer can tolerate considerably higher temperatures than 160F with no degradation.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin