Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,858   Posts: 1,583,102   Online: 942

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Come on Australia Post - Now this thread is started I too am looking forward to this film - I have no problem if it ends up being contrasty in my replenished D76d, made up in 1985 and improving with age - The extra contrast will be welcome as the dedicated camera for this film is a Retina, which is good and sharp enough, but has soft tonality

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jbaphoto111018d932.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	42.9 KB 
ID:	50199

The camera was bought by my wife from a charity shop in England for peanuts, she bought it as she thought it was pretty
    Last edited by John Austin; 04-30-2012 at 08:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Your wife was right; that is a pretty camera. D76 should be dandy with this film. Our film in the states came from Field by Priority Mail, which is a 2 day service (sort of).

My impression is that the contast of the Agfa is very controllable; I'm going to experiment more with clip tests from my bracketed roll shortly, then develop a test roll I just shot on my bicycle ride.

Andy, you sure beat us all (except Field, of course) with a very nice picture.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 04-30-2012 at 10:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    if anyone wants to process this lovely film in coffee ... send me a PM
    it might work well with your high contrast film

Andy that Xtol really works well with this film... I wonder why mine come out a tiny bit brown, the negetaives... hm whatever they scan fine.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Brown negs in Xtol? Odd. If it doesn't affect your flow, makes no difference. Tomorrow looks to be sunny, got a roll of 10 or so frames bulked, gonna try ISO 25 and cut the dev a bit maybe 7:45, think mine was cooked a bit, but my daughter's hair is quite light, she has blue eyes too which the ortho film had its way with (ie making them real light looking). Love that look, was expecting her skin to be more stark and harsh but it looks great, her complexion is very pink/red. This film is fun, never tried ortho. It sure looks great when photographing wood, need to find an old red barn now....

Grumpy - USPS to AU...wow that might take a bit, maybe by a week from now? Well, that will give you time to get that beaut camera nice n clean.

Mark I look forward to your results! I do need some advisement, suggestions from you all.

I just shot it quickly at lunch today with a Olympus XA quickly to see if I can get a good neg. I didn't have time to take notes, had to get back to work....can't wait till the weekend....

More scans folks!
    Andy

EI25 at 5.5 minutes in Tmax 1:4 was underdeveloped by about a stop. A few photos accidently taken at like EI10, came out pretty close. I'm going to try 6.5 minutes for EI25 next. I'd post photos but it'd be a waste.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Andy, all I got was more test and comparison shots with what light was left when I took my bicycle ride this evening. I'm very envious of you actually getting a nice shot on your first go.

My experience is similar to you and Field. I backed off about 20 percent from my normal Tri-X time in replenished Xtol and that is getting close, but still a little long for contrasty light I was shooting. Printed fine with with lower contrast filter in the enlarger.

I'm also seeing shadow detail more linked to developement time than I'm used to. Certainly EI 25 is about the max with my reduced development; a little more exposure would have been nice on some. Not much latitude compared to the films I'm used to, buy probably about normal for this speed film.

I ran the last short piece of my bracket test roll in Acufine since I'd just freshened up my replenished bottle of it. It looked promising, but the time would have to be very short. It sure pulled the shadows up, but everything else too.

Grumpy Old Man, this may really be just the thing to perk up your Retina.

Actually compared to Efke/Adox this stuff is much more versitile. Even at EI100 I think it could be used, just not ideal. We have to accept that it is going to be pretty contrasty stuff by nature.

My avatar is at EI100. Printing on an enlarger (I use color enlarger) it would come out fine with a higher contrast filtration, I believe.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post

Grumpy - USPS to AU...wow that might take a bit, maybe by a week from now? Well, that will give you time to get that beaut camera nice n clean.

More scans folks!
    First thing I did with the Retina after its first roll (APX100) was to send it to the only repair man I trust in Australia to check, clean and fix the slow speeds, which were all about 1/25th

This sort of work I never do myself as I have seen too many stuff ups by people who say "cleaning a shutter is easy" - Paying an expert is much cheaper than a new shutter

Anyway, everything is ready for the Agfa film's arrival

John

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Can't wait Grumpy to see your results!

Bulked another roll of 10 frames, it's drying now (see below), might be able to scan a few tonight. Won't be printing till probably the weekend though.

Andy

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin