Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,738   Online: 1239

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
    Tmax 5:45 69* .... the window is too narrow between 5:30 and 6:00... They come out decent, but Rodinal is better.

Tmax

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6222653...7629672581146/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7173840006_1b56d8ceb6_z.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	50813

Rodinal 1:50 9 minutes 69* (agitate twice every 3 minutes) Still a bit hot, I'm going to try like 8 min.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/6222653...7629672581142/

Name:	7173814924_201b6290d1_z.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	50814
    Last edited by Field; 05-10-2012 at 07:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Great job Field!!!! That desk photo is perfect!!!
    Last edited by zsas; 05-10-2012 at 08:33 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelled name wrong
    Andy

The problem is I didn't use any post editing, which should be required for any properly done negative. If you look at the other photos they are too hot in certain areas.

Dwane on here sent me a print that he did studio style to play with the lack of AH layer. Well he purposely lit up a marble that turned into a magnificent glowing white dot, being held by a metal nutcracker that has tonality of metal so well done that at first you wouldn't be surprised if it was a color print. I hadn't considered what you could do with this, playing around with small intense light sources in otherwise darker areas. This is exciting. It may be able to make some rather amazing photos of people looking into doorways that are really well lit from a black room etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Field View Post
    Andy that Xtol really works well with this film... I wonder why mine come out a tiny bit brown, the negetaives... hm whatever they scan fine.
    This is sometimes noticed with Xtol. It is caused by the size of the silver grains. Another fine grain developing agent which does this is chlorhydroquinone used in warm tone print developer formulations in the past.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Field View Post
    Dwane on here sent me a print that he did studio style to play with the lack of AH layer. Well he purposely lit up a marble that turned into a magnificent glowing white dot
    Ooooh - This is what I hoped would happen, like the car previously referred to

My roll will come today! - That is providing A'Post's bullock cart does not get lost in the forest - I am not now using the Kodak Retina as yesterday's sharpness test showed the lens in not up to the job - This is a pity as using ortho' film in a 1930s camera feels right - I will now use it in one of my Nikon Fs with the 35mm lens, not a great lens, but adequately sharp for this project - Remembrance of my BW 16mm film work from 1972 I love "rough tonality", but I demand there be a sharp image at the core

Pix asap (as soon as printed as I don't like neg' scans from the piece of Cano-scan-poo to my left)

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 05-10-2012 at 11:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Exposed and developed my first roll @ 35 EI Developed 1-50 Rodinal 9 min @ 20 C. I used my usual way: Pre rinse then 30 secs agitation to begin and then 5 secs agitation every 30 secs. Slightly over developed. Next 1 will be 7.5 min with 1 min agitations. Not far off for the start. Will be adding a Yellow filter also. Very nice grain.

Name:	1-Agfa Cinerex 50 1-50 Rodinal027.tif.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	294.5 KB 
ID:	50826 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Agfa Cinerex 50 1-50 Rodinal002.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	336.1 KB 
ID:	50827
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 05-11-2012 at 02:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Whooppee - it is here

However, I still grumped at Colin as it was the only parcel, I wanted four

Straight into the darkroom to open the parcel, done in the dark just to be safe - First I grabbed the treasure I was hoping for, something I avidly search for in every parcel from overseas, bits of foreign newspaper - Sadly the Missoula Independent has all the vivid writing and excitement of the Manjimup Bridgetown Times, even the supermarket adverts look the same, but they did in the Goteborgs Posten wrapped around a Sinar bed rail from Sweden months ago

In the gathering gloom I did a very rough and ready zone I test and three pics each at 25, 50 and 100asa developed in D76d - I used this as this is sitting there in deep tanks at the right temperature, each tank with its own little light flashing occasionally as the dev, stop and fix are kept at the right temperature 24 hours a day all year round - One of life's little darkroom luxuries

So far the film looks super-clean, but with a very sudden drop off below zone I into total clarity - The highlights, looked at wet, seemed to go on a nice long way with no sign of blocking or flaring - I will plot all this tomorrow after I have found the best dev' times for zone VIII and decided what to dev' it in - A densitometer being another of life's little darkroom luxuries

Anyway, I hope the next roll I order has more interesting newspaper, but in reality the days of parcels from USA being wrapped in the LA Free Times or the Village Voice are long gone

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 05-11-2012 at 04:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

John I'm sure I could try to include some more interesting paper next time...

dances_w_clouds, too much agitation. I'm agitating it at every 3 minutes, some would do it every 5 minutes (although for things that take like 18 minutes). Many people just give it a shake and leave it alone for 45 minutes. The trick is if you think you aren't quiet agitating it enough, you are probably doing it right. I had a lot of seriously overdeveloped photos when I first used Rodinal...

I'm going to point out the sad thing is I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get this film again. The medical world does not really use this stuff anymore; they use big sheet negatives but... It was by chance I got this you may say. I've been searching for more but I don't know if I'll ever be able to locate more of even different types. Sad...
    Last edited by Field; 05-11-2012 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The trick here with the water purity is to make sure there is enough agitation to get even development. I have tried with different film to use stand development with uneven results. With semi-stand (2x15 secs) it was noticeable (barely). Comparing the Rodinal to the Blazinal I have noticed slight differences. But that is a whole new ball game that shall not be taken on on this thread. Maybe my next purchase should be distilled water to eliminate some differences. But thanks again to you I can afford a few tests especially with Blazinal for just pennies a roll.
    I also noted that Agfa film and Rodinal have been used together with great results for MANY yrs.
    Last edited by dances_w_clouds; 05-11-2012 at 06:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin