Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,012   Online: 715

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Agfa Cinerex - tests and recommendation

I'm starting a thread here for test results with the 35mm Agfa Cinerex IC1N 50asa orthochromatic film that was sold by APUG'er "Field".

I ran a quick initial test with the film. Here are some initial thoughts.

The film is packed loose in black plastic (no can or other wrapper) open it in the dark I spooled about half onto an old Fuji bulk reel from 100' film; the film base on this is thin, so half easily gets it into my Lloyds loader.

I did a bracket test roll of plus and minus a stop from EI 25, then did a clip test in my replenished Xtol at my normal Tri-X time. My actual time isn't useful for others since this is a replenished tank.

EI 25 looks very good. EI 50 has decent shadow detail too and may be close to what would be considered a normal ISO number. It certainly looks like that is a good working range.

My normal Tri-X developing time isn't too far off. It is certainly not too short, and is probably a little long. It is hard to judge until I make some prints. I'll probably shoot at EI 25 and back off a bit on the time until I have a better feel for the film.

Grain is fine, but not as fine as Acros or TMX. The grain is very crisp and sharpness looks excellent, with a high acutance look.

I'll be looking forward to hearing more opinions and suggestions here.
    Last edited by Mark Crabtree; 04-30-2012 at 02:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.

I'm curious about getting the development time down. It might "grain-out" real fast, and otherwise be much less grainy; closer to Acros or TMX maybe.

I haven't tried it in Rodinal yet, but it could be good if I can get development times to a minimium with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    EI50 in Xtol 1:1 @ 20˚C @ 10.5 min. is close, but doesn't have much shadow detail. I'm going to try EI25 and cut the developing time a bit.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Interesting Rolfe, just shot my roll at 50, and planed on Xtol 1:1 for 10.5, you think I should I up the dev to say 13.5? It is cloudy here when I shot it.
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be trying it oh Rodinal, HC-110 and D-76 bit not likely until the next couple of weeks.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

A friend that has some film has been trying to shoot in-between EI25 and EI50, and been enjoying results. I'm mixed becasue some of my EI50 shots are so pretty to me.

This one lacks some in the shadows, but the skin tone is very good given the lighting. The shirt is extra dark because it is a red shirt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6983233026_eb3e9b7803_b.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	380.5 KB 
ID:	50183
    Last edited by Field; 04-30-2012 at 02:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Andy, no I wouldn't up the development or you'll get too much contrast. The issue, if there is one and it isn't just the spectral response, is the shadow detail. Midrange and highlights are fully developed at 10.5 min.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll be trying it with Rodinal, HC-110 and D-76 but not likely until the next couple of weeks.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks Rolfe, will go for 10.5 1:1 tonight, ty
    Andy

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What interesting film. Washed clear. Just black and white. Odd, neat, cool. Like a chrome.

Took a pic of my daughter, the fence wood is quite interesting.

At 50, Xtol 1:1, 10:30 seconds. Neg scan for now.

Really interesting stuff. Nice to have in my bag! Thanks Field, this is everything I hoped for, a film that is odd, different and fun to play around with!

Andy

Page 1 of 14 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin