Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,814   Online: 725

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    XTOL is about to enter my darkroom and I will, of course, try to mix it with Rodinal as I have been told is a great thing to do...

Morten
    You are going to spoil the purity of Rodinal?
    Morten I didn't expect it from you!
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    You are going to spoil the purity of Rodinal?
    Morten I didn't expect it from you!
    No, I just want it to help XTOL a bit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a pyro developer, but I only contact print, even rollfilm. Haven't tried any other kinds of developers, but I like my prints.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I used a lot of FP4+ with Ilfosol-S. It's a wonderful combination that gives fine grain, sharp results and good contrast. Recently, due to Ilford bankrunpt, I began using Kodak TMAX with XTOL. I'm also very pleased with the results, giving fine grain and sharpness. About the contrast, I find XTOL gives more gray tonallities.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey no one has answered my question! What is the Kodak equivalent of Ilfosol-S?? I think I tried Ilfosol-S once and didn't like it. Not enough contrast, but I could be wrong. But then again I don't like the look of D-76 either. I'm a heretic I know.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm

PMK Pyro

I have just tried a roll of 35mm in PMK Pyro. Ten times enlargement showed little grain and was vey sharp. I had to print with a low contrast filter, the film was pretty contrasty but the scene was also very contrasty. The highlights appear to have an interesting luminois quality. I would suggest PMK Pyro is worth a try and I plan to soup some more film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try ALL devs.; premixed or home brew. Just make sure you try them in alphabetical order.

Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    XTOL is about to enter my darkroom and I will, of course, try to mix it with Rodinal as I have been told is a great thing to do...

Morten
    Morten
    Xtol is prone to sudden death syndrome. Your church may become busy with funerals
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Images
    Try the following:

1 liter propylene glycol
    90 grams ascorbic or erythorbic acid
    2.25 grams phenidone

Heat to about 100 C in a Pyrex container until dissolved. Cool before use. This is solution A.

Solution B1 is 10% Kodalk in water (same as for PMK).
    Solution B2 is 10% sodium carbonate in water.
    Solution B3 is undiluted triethanolamine (TEA for short).

Use A:B:water in ratios 1:1:50 for first trials.

You can mix A and B3 in equal amounts to form a single solution concentrated stock with very long storage life. In that case, start with 1+25 dilution.

When testing a new developer I recommend shooting a whole bunch of negatives of the same scene or of a step density wedge. I use 35 mm 36 exposures. I develop a few frames at 6 minutes and a few more at 12. The best will probably be somewhere between.

Notice that there is no sulfite in these developers. If you think you can get better results by adding sulfite, by all means do so, but try them without it first. You can always add whatever you want to the working solution or to solution B1 or B2.

A good place to get propylene glycol and TEA is www.chemistrystore.com. Erythorbic acid, AKA isoascorbic acid, is available from www.kicgroup.com.

Don't try to dissolve sodium ascorbate in propylene glycol or TEA. When you mix A with B1 or B2, sodium ascorbate is formed in the working solution. I'm not sure what forms when A and B3 are mixed, but it develops film and paper very nicely.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Medium Format

Expansion and contraction developer - where to start

I have started with T-Max 400 film. Is the T-Max developer something that is capable of expansion and contraction development?

Suggestions on other developers for that purpose?

Comments on T-max film use when using expansion and contraction development?

Thanks

Todd

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin