Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,661   Online: 861

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    HC-110 dilution A. Super short dev time for most films so fog isn't as likely to manifest. YMMV.

Obviously keep the oldies for fun experimental work. Fresh film only for the important stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dont be surprised if you need to develop longer than the data books tell you; like 2x as long for old film.

I am not sure if it is the gelatin has dried and hardened and is slower to slow the diffusion of the developer in, or because some of the exposed silver halides have lost the electron that exposed them with time, but I have experience with some mid 60's once 100 iso Ferrania stuff that times of 18minutes in straight d76 worked well. In with the exposed there was unexposed. It shoots well at ISO 12 now.

I agree that HC-110 works well, is low fog, and does give fast development times at Dil A, but if diffusion is inhibitted by the dry film, then even that won't help.
    I would suggest that trying a developer temperature water only pre soak (with testuing on a limited amount of old film, ie snip test) may allow the short acting Dil A of making it to the halides suspened in the gelatine to reduce them to metallic silver within the recommended often much less than 5 minute development time.

I would consider clipping a few frames from one film, and develop judge negative denisty in the edge markings, if nothing else.
    You can judge by how dense the first few frames are after fixing and then decide what time adjustments the rest of the roll is likely to need.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yesterday I developed an Ilford SG Pan plate that had been shot in 1952. I developed in D-76 1:1 for ten minutes. The plate could have been exposed yesterday, the results were outstanding.

However, I have had very little luck with roll film of that era, that had partially fused to the backing paper, which I assume may have off-gassed and fogged the film. The fog was very bad.

Much depends on how the exposed film was stored. Also, I have this anecdotally based theory that anything at or below 50 ASA will last forever, whereas otherwise, the faster the speed, the less likely the latent image will keep.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    try it in coffee with a little ansco 130

just stand develop it for about 30mins
    it will be a little foggy but that is ok
    the images will print and electrify well ..

have fun !
    john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    35mm
    Many thanks for your comments (including on HMTL elimination)
    The consensus appears to be - use HC-110 at lower than normal temperatures with a good plain water prewash - but there is doubt in my mind as to whether for longer or shorter times. Would anyone like to clarify my mind?

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    What is a bit of code between lines, I read it easily, but then I am having another go a James Joyce's Ulysses - After Molly Bloom's soliloquy code is nothing! - Actually the code might help

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 05-09-2012 at 04:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin