Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,919   Online: 803

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Processing old B&W film

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]It is many years since I last processed B&W film.However I find (when clearing my garage!) that I have a dozen mainly Adox KB17cassettes unprocessed.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]I recognise that the images may be degraded – even lost –but I want to try processing. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]I have the necessary equipment, but chemical technology has(presumably) moved on.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Formerly I would have processed in Neofin Blue – two filmsper phial. I believe thatNeofin Blue still exists. Is it the same? An advantage of Neofin Blue (if Iremember correctly) is that effectively it fully develops, so giving extra timefor my old films will not be a problem.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Can anyone recommend developer, fixer and any otherintermediary chemicals - or make any otther suggestions please.

StuartatThrelkeld[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How old is old? I have used HC 110, DDX, and Extol to developed old stock films, some going back to the 70s, as well as a few rolls of film that have been shot in the 60s but left un developed. In my experiance high speed films such as TriX do not hold up as well low speed films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HC-110 is a fantastic developer for old and fogged film, since it generates very low volumes of fog in itself, possibly due to very short developing times.

You may be lucky. I processed a roll of Verichrome Pan that was stuck in an old box camera since the 1960s, and it came out with results that were OK after a few tweaks in the digital domain.
    If all goes well, you're sitting on a time machine.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it just my screen or do the rest of you see things like COLOUR SIZE FONT in brackets all over the place. This makes the post very difficult to read. What might be causing this? Is it one of the glitches that results from the migration to the new server

If it is something the OP is doing then someone needs to advise him of the solution. It is going to make reading his posts very difficult. Not in his best interests

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Is it just my screen or do the rest of you see things like COLOUR SIZE FONT in brackets all over the place. This makes the post very difficult to read. What might be causing this? Is it one of the glitches that results from the migration to the new server

If it is something the OP is doing then someone needs to advise him of the solution. It is going to make reading his posts very difficult. Not in his best interests

pentaxuser
    I felt awkward.
    I thought I was the only one seeing " COLOUR SIZE FONT "

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    I (the OP) see the extra code too; but why? I copied from an e-mail what I thought was plain text - certainly what I saw was plain text. Help welcomed. StuartatThrelkeld

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It may have copied from the email with the formatting hidden, this happens sometimes. Anyways, I would try HC-110, it works really well, you may have to adjust times due to the film being older, I am not sure exactly the time needed... Im sure alot of people on this forum could help though
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark Antony used to contribute to these forums. I'm sure you can find him via a member search here on APUG. I seem to remember he specialized in processing old films. If you can get hold of him you may be able to receive valuable advice from him regarding starting points of how to treat your film, or how to approach it at least.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartatThrelkeld View Post
    I (the OP) see the extra code too; but why? I copied from an e-mail what I thought was plain text - certainly what I saw was plain text. Help welcomed. StuartatThrelkeld
    If you were to first paste the copy into Notepad, you would see exactly what you copied. Then you could copy that text in Notepad or whatever part you wanted and post it exactly as you intended.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    If you were to first paste the copy into Notepad, you would see exactly what you copied. Then you could copy that text in Notepad or whatever part you wanted and post it exactly as you intended.
    That's usually what I do to, because Notepad strips ALL formatting from the text. It's a great tool for that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin