Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,661   Online: 952

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I always think of it as bear-ger, I guess it's the 4 years of german influencing me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac
    "Bare-zhay" if you're in France. "Burger" if you're in Maine.
    Assuming that it's originally not a French name, and following the pronunciations that I've heard French people use for foreign names in the wine industry (e.g. Palmer pron Pahl-merh with the accent slightly on the last syllable) I would vote with Maine-iac.

Images
    Bear-Ghey
    hi!

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by john_s
    Assuming that it's originally not a French name, and following the pronunciations that I've heard French people use for foreign names in the wine industry (e.g. Palmer pron Pahl-merh with the accent slightly on the last syllable) I would vote with Maine-iac.

On the other hand, considering the fun I used to have with my French friends getting them into arguments over how to pronounce the name of the charming medieval town 45 minutes northeast of Paris--Senlis-- I'm sure that in any gathering of two or more Frenchpersons, you'd get two or more opinions on the pronunciation of Bergger. (By the way, for the people who live there, it's pronounced Sawn-leese, but for many others, it's Sawn-lee. And it's got a great medieval church. Also, and one of my favorites, a Century 21 realty office in an old Norman (Tudor) building.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac
    . . . and one of my favorites, a Century 21 realty office in an old Norman (Tudor) building.
    The big question is whether Century 21 will have to increment its name to stay ahead of the times. But, I do appreciate the irony.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin