Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 864

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Best keeping paper developer??

For years and years I used Agfa multigrade paper developer. It came as stock in one gallon bottles. I liked it just fine. I bought 3 gallons when a local lab closed down. It's all used up now and I've been using dektol. I mix up the 3.8 liters, then decant into 750ml bottles to prevent oxidation. Just opened up a full stoppered bottle - all brown, exposed test strip developed in the light still not black after one minute. No printing today after all.
    Between the home renovations we've been doing the last couple of months, and my struggles with carbon printing, the chemicals for silver printing haven't been used as often as usual, but I thought a full stoppered bottle should last at least 6 months.
    I really liked the Agfa. It kept and kept and kept, kinda like Rodinal. Any suggestions? Does the Ilford MG developer keep well? Even half full and gathering dust for months?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dektol does last 6 months or longer in sealed and full bottles. I do it and it works. One thing I noticed is that some plastic bottles aren't oxygen proof. If you are noticing yours is expiring before then, it might be that the bottle itself either has a leak or the material is not oxygen proof. You might want to check that first as your next developer may not fare so well if that's the problem.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Buy and mix up the formulary's version of Ansco 130, if you are not up to mixing it up from scratch.

My DIY stuff was murky and brown after only a few months, and then just gradually darkenned. It never changed on how it would develop a print though.

I had a jug of it mixed and partially used 1:1 working strength (stored in a plastic jug even) and it was still going strong after 2 years of intermittent use.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't know if it's available in B.C., but Ethol LPD is designed for this. LPD is short for Lasting Paper Developer. You can find it powdered in cans or in a liquid stock. Dilution changes can affect cold-warm tone to some extent.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ansco 130 ( formulary 130 paper developer ) lasts forever ...
    i buy between 5 and 7 gallons every 12months,
    and by the end of the 7th gallon is it still going strong a year later ...
    dilute and in a tray it lasts about 30 days or so they say

just make sure you mix it when you get the kit of chemistry because the glycin tends to go bad faster than
    anything else ... but once it is mixed you are in good shape.

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As recommended above,Try some L.P.D.Lasts forever and thats just the half life!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Surely one of the main factors that will determin the keeping quality is protection from oxidation?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format

Try Bromophen

I've been impressed with the keeping quality of Ilford's Bromophen, which is now my standard paper developer. I've kept it for a year (in full plastic bottles) with no change in color, and a month or so in partially filled bottles with only a slight darkening. I can't say the same for Multigrade, which seems more sensitive to oxidation. (I have used 130, but I just don't like putting my paper into the murk!)

--Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ethol LPD as a replenished developer. I'm into 14 months on the same gallon. Have a can of fresh powder to mix sitting on the shelf gathering dust. Same amount of Dektol would have been gone before three months was up at the rate I use it.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Moersch Eco 3812:

Concentrate: 4 years
    Concentrate in a half full bottle: 2 years
    Working solution 8 months in an air-sealed bottle

Adox Adotol is a powder. As a working solution it lasts 6-12 months in bottles.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin