Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,714   Posts: 1,483,034   Online: 787

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    NO, fixer contains other chemicals other than thiosulfate which could have undesirable effects on the developer. Even plain ammonium thiosulfate cannot be used. You have to use sodium thiosulfate or sodium/potassium thiocyanate.
    thankyou.
    pentax 6x7,canon eos 300, crown graphic 4x5

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

sodium thiosulfate or sodium/potassium thiocyanate

Reversal B&W process is like any other photographic process - it's what you make of it. Haist had his formula for it 30+ years ago, good maybe for the films of the day - but not optimal. Some recipes produce very good result, some very poor.

The B&W reversal process for today's films is much different than yesterdays. Though there are basics, small details matter for the best outcome. sodium thiosulfate or sodium/potassium thiocyanate rob an emulsion of it's potential if it is used in a reversal B&W process. It is best to alter procedure or other baths to off-set the use of these agents. The image result is much more desirable.

regards, dw

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was wondering...if adding a normal fixer ( like ilford rapid fixer, etc ) directly to the developer is a bad idea...what about running the film through a dilute fixer briefly after 1st development?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkroomExperimente View Post
    I was wondering...if adding a normal fixer ( like ilford rapid fixer, etc ) directly to the developer is a bad idea...what about running the film through a dilute fixer briefly after 1st development?
    NO again. However you can use dilute Farmer's reducer to clean up the highlights bit it is tricky to do this.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    I thought I'd cracked it at my second attempt, developing in Rodinal with no thiosulphate or thiocyanate. However, my third roll was a big disappointment, with a general muddy appearance that seemed to indicate that I needed something in that first developer. I've bought thiosulphate, but have yet to try it.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dr5chrome View Post
    sodium thiosulfate or sodium/potassium thiocyanate rob an emulsion of it's potential if it is used in a reversal B&W process... regards, dw
    This is a revelation, and from someone knowledgable enough to know the real deal. Very interesting...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    This is a revelation, and from someone knowledgable enough to know the real deal. Very interesting...
    Revelation BUT no specific solution.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As he is wont to do... (afterall, he has a business to run)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do not use Ammonium Thiosulfate.

There are many solutions to this problem, but some silver halide solvent is going to be needed.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even though you CAN NOT and MUST NOT use rapid fixer instead of hypo, you can still give it a shot . The point is, the amount of thiosulphate needed will be so low that the level of unwanted chemicals will be low also; you will be using just a few milliliters of concentrate per liter or so! I would think the ammonium ion is the biggest problem. But it's not going to explode so feel free to experiment...

Why I am telling this is because I have done this. When I was starting up in film photography, I experimented on reversal processing BW paper to create prints from color slides. As I didn't have plain hypo, I just poured a bit of fixer to the developer. It didn't explode, I didn't die and I liked the results; but no side-to-side comparisons done without the fixer!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin