Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,004   Online: 739

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You can use fixer at film strength, and it helps too because since you fix for a shorter duration, the fix washes out faster.
    And I meant for prints.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Potassium Iodine?

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The fixer test solution is just P. Iodide. I put a drop in the fixer tray, if a little yellow-white puff appears and then dissipates I rotate the solutions. A ha'penny's worth of P. Iodide from the chemists is all you need: 5g in 25ml of distilled water is enough for 500+ tests.
    Is it potassium iodine? The stuff you take if the bomb goes of and you want to prevent thyroid cancer? Also, does the fixer test affect film or prints or is it inert?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A potassium iodide solution can be used as a very crude test. The problem with this solution is that it only gives a positive test LONG AFTER the fixer is effectively exhausted.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 05-09-2012 at 10:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Gerald for the clarification. So if potassium iodide gets cloudy, the fixer is beyond exhaustion. As for fixing film, I double the time it takes to clear. Is that still a good method? For fixing prints, I use a 2 bath fixing technique where I fix my print in rapid fix for a minute then hold the print in a water bath for a second fix with fresh fixer for 5 minutes. Both seem to work for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Silver iodide is the least soluble of the silver halides. So when a precipitate forms, and remains even after shaking, the fixer is saturated with silver and should be discarded. However it is really not useable before this point. The best method is to record how many sg in of film or paper has been through the bath to determine when to discard it.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    if you use two-bath fixing already, you have nothing left to worry abot. it is the best method for film andpaper.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everybody! you all have been a great help!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin