Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,703   Online: 1141

View Poll Results: I will be able to buy FB paper for the next X years.

Voters
133. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1-5 years

5 3.76%
  • 6-11 years

15 11.28%
  • 12-20 years

33 24.81%
  • forever

80 60.15%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    The reality of our lives these days seems to be the shrinking supply of available B&W papers. Especially quality FB paper.

Put your googles on and stare into the future. Realistically speaking just how long do you think we will be able to purchase B&W FB paper?
    It's not a function of anything but plain old demand & supply.

The price may get astronomical (tried to buy 127 or 6x9cm film lately?) but the product will always be there, produced by someone who can make a profit.

Worse comes to worst, we (as photographers) can go back to sensitizing our own papers again.

It may be science, but it isn't rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by zenrhino
    The price may get astronomical (tried to buy 127 or 6x9cm film lately?) but the product will always be there, produced by someone who can make a profit.
    127 film today is less than $5 a roll. 6x9 film is less than $7 a box of 25. If you do a CPI calculation of the prices of these items in 1960 and compare you will find that they are about the same after inflation.

Forever seems optimistic but then our entire society is built on optimism(your retirement savings in the stock market)!
    I decided to stay analog for several reasons.
    I like the darkroom experience and hate computer screens.
    The $1500.00 state of the art 1.5 megapixel camera I bought a few years ago annoys me every time I look at it.
    Our wedding photos are now 40 years old- on Brovira stipple from a Rolleiflex and look like they were taken yesterday. The same photographer is a dear friend and recently did our daughter's wedding and produced volumes of semi digital colour prints which I'm sure won't be around long.

It is ironic though that despite the profusion of good papers manufactured I bought the last box of FB paper in the entire city last weekend.

I am sorry I didn't freeze some Portriga Rapid and glad that I did freeze a hundred or so rolls of 127 VP

enough rambling

Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    The $1500.00 state of the art 1.5 megapixel camera I bought a few years ago annoys me every time I look at it.
    The way you worded that made me laugh.
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EricR
    The reality of our lives these days seems to be the shrinking supply of available B&W papers. Especially quality FB paper.

Put your googles on and stare into the future. Realistically speaking just how long do you think we will be able to purchase B&W FB paper?
    Well, Printing-Out Paper is still available commercially after better than a hundred years of use; I suspect that silver gelatin paper will do at least as well as that.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, if I keep on spending more time travelling and buying paper than printing -my supplies will stay for ever. Like Argenta paper from Munich, old Orwo (only 3'' wide), old Agfa Record ...
    On special occasions I use some of these papers for good friends, telling them: "Even if you get divorced, keep the prints, this paper went out of production some twenty years ago..."
    Please pardon me, I'm off to place an order on Kentmere papers with Retro...

Wolfram
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I vote forever. Just read an interesting article in the N.Y. Times on digital storeage and its problems,called Even digital memories can fade 11-10-04.Since digital has these problems that they can't seem to fix and the fact that there is vary little profit in digital and a lot of profit in anolog, I think there will always be film and paper available because ther will be always enough peaple that enjoy the wet darkroom .

ldh

Shooter
    Pinhole

Digital technology will be a shot in the arm

As is being discussed in the enlarging forum...the advent of digital enlargers with the ability to print from digital image-files and that they will (in time) become commonplace and be reasonably affordable...this should help the fiber cause significantly...
    s ledem prosim

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin