Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,855   Online: 763

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Edwal Yellow and Blue toner - any experience?

I have both Yellow and Blue toners by Edwal on order. I cannot find ANY information online. I know - for blue toners, one will print a little lighter as the toner increases density by a little. Does anyone know if Yellow increases or decreases density?

Does anyone have ANY link to information concerning these toners? Edwal does not appear to have any web representation and I only found material safety sheet on these items from a seller (Freestyle).
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm actually surprised no one has used these....

Shooter
    Large Format
    This is a well-illustrated book on the use of Berg toners, the only toners covered in this book. It was produced with the cooperation of Berg, as it’s practically a manual of use for Berg toners.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/403100...Jerry-Davidson

It’s modestly priced at $4.49.

The Berg toner book is relevant because the Edwal color toners are quite similar to those by Berg.

There are some comments about Edwal and Berg dye toners here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/tl_toners.php
    Last edited by Ian C; 05-08-2012 at 01:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want to pursue toning, Tim Rudman's book is a must.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    If you want to pursue toning, Tim Rudman's book is a must.
    AND PRICEY!!!!!$$$

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the Berg color toners and really don't care for the colors. They are more like dyes than tones. I suppose there would be times when coloring a print might look okay, just not for me. I prefer hand coloring prints with water colors or acrylics.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian C View Post
    This is a well-illustrated book on the use of Berg toners, the only toners covered in this book. It was produced with the cooperation of Berg, as it’s practically a manual of use for Berg toners.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/403100...Jerry-Davidson

It’s modestly priced at $4.49.

The Berg toner book is relevant because the Edwal color toners are quite similar to those by Berg.

There are some comments about Edwal and Berg dye toners here:

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/tl_toners.php

Thank you.

Freestyle information appears to be not entirely correct though. The page says Berg and Edwals are dyes.... but blue Edwal, at least, is a toner in an iron toner based on ingredients listed in MSD. I'm not sure about Yellow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bottles of Edwal toners came. Apparently, once ferricynide is mixed into the solution, the stock solution only lasts for a few weeks. That doesn't give me much time to experiment....

The instructions that came with the bottles are rather brief. Oh well...

I'll report back once I play with these.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Grrr.....

Tried blue kind. Pretty much a disaster.

I took an untoned print, wet it, then poured 1:15 solution (recommended dilution) for 4 minutes. (recommended is 3 to 4 minutes) Then washed for 5 minutes.

The result is no different from if I poured a diluted blue ink. The color went everywhere including borders. The amount of coloring doesn't appear to have anything to do with density of the print. What's worse, in 5 minute wash (under very slow moving water), enough washed off that area with any density didn't show much color at all.

Obviously, something is wrong. What? I have no idea.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    tkamiya:

If the Edwal coloured toners are similar to the Berg coloured toners, they are actually more like dyes than toners - they just impart an overall colour.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin