Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,739   Online: 884

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Best way to develop Ilford Delta 400

Hi all, I wondered if anyone can advise me on developing my Ilford Delta 400 medium format film. I was originally self developing Delta 100 which was ok, if a little bit variable in contrast when I did it. I found the film was a little slow for me so I moved to delta 400, my self developing was now really grainy and very low contrast. I use Infasol 3 dev, Ilford stop and Ilford fix all to the prescribed times and temps. I am guessing that something is out with me, so I would love to follow someone elses way that they have found successful esp. as B&W dev is costing me £££!

I love developing but I found I was buying nice cameras (Rolleicord and Mamiya 645) for the way they render film shots, and then I was finding that all that beauty was being destroyed by my developing!! So I started lab developing my delta 400 which is great as it shows off the cameras to their best, but is probably unnecessary.

Let the healing begin!

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm surprised you aren't having any success with Ilfosol 3. I've used it with many Ilford films and had good results each time -- I prefer other developers, but Ilfosol is still decent. Are you sure the developer is OK? Perhaps it's expired?

How are you agitating the film? Small tank with inversions? Continuous agitation?

Cheers,

Matt

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I developed my last 2 rolls of Delta 120 in DDX. I have also used HC110 with good results. For fine grain you might want to try Ilfords verson of Microdol X or Xtol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilfosol 3 is a good developer in my experience. It does not last very long once opened, though. I prefer Perceptol myself. It's much like the now discontinued Kodak Microdol-X. ID-11 is also good, much like D-76.
    If you're getting grainy, low contrast negatives with recommended development, I would check your exposure. Try bracketing toward the longer exposures and compare the frames to see how they look.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used Delta 400 developed with ID11 both straight and 1:1 with excellent results for many years. Start with Ilford's time and temperature and adjust the time if more (or less) contrast is needed. It might be helpful to run a test to determine your personal ISO for your equipment as the shutter speeds may not be what you think they are and double check your light meter.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Delta 400 is wonderful in any developer an you can get results as good as any lab, you've just got to keep trying-you'll get there quicker than you think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK guys, I am conviced! I will buy some new developer and get cracking. thanks for your replies!
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shoot alot of Delta 400 and Ilford ID11 is very good, but I prefer Patersons Aculux 3 for nice crisp, low grain negatives. I suggest a little longer development than recommended @ 5-10% more, but, of course you will just need to determine this for yourself. If you do try another developer, try to do a simple development test first. Not complicated: just cut a normally (for you) exposed film into 3 and develop for product suggested time, 15% more and 15% less. It will give you some good basic information to work with about how to proceed with the developer and maybe answer a few of your own questions regarding grain, contrast and exposure.
    Regards, Mark Walker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get great results with almost any developer I have on hand, D-76, Rodinal, or Pyrocat-HD(best ). My personal ISO's for each developer are slower than box speed, and determined by testing.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your comments and help. I dusted off the tank and tried another roll just now (it is drying). I changed my agitation method from twirling (using the stick thing) to inverting. I also increased my dev time from 5:30 to 7:00mins at 20 degrees. Negs look really good, will see....

Also I went on a website that give peoples different recipes:

http://filmdev.org/

This is a great site as you can see the pictures afterwards and judge if it is an outcome you like. Based on my research I have ordered some Kodak XTOL and std Kodak Fixer

I look fwd to seeing some great negs soon. Also, I can check the negs of my Rollei Vs my Mamiya to see if my Rollei sspeeds are off.

Cheers

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin