Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,295   Online: 870

Shooter
    Large Format

TMY 400 film stiff in Hasselblad

I am looking for a good 400 speed film for vacation use in my Hasselblad. The TMY 400 film is very stiff, is very curled the camera tends to space the frames farther apart. It is also difficult to load on Jobo plastic reels but works with difficulty on Nikor stainless steel reels. The negatives look very good and sharp. I compared the thickness of the film to TMX 100 and they are almost the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi,

For what it is worth, on the occasions where I've been shooting a Hasselblad (A 501C/M with an A12 back), I've mostly been using Ilford Delta 400. Works a charm.

Stupid question, but: Have you used other films in the film back? (To rephrase: Are you sure the issue you are experiencing is caused by the film and not the film back?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was going to reiterate OddE's second point...I just got through a trip using primarily TMY-2 in my Hasselblad 500c. Worked like a charm, both in-camera and on reels later on.

I'd seriously consider getting a new back/getting your present one repaired before switching films. It's never felt different to me than any Ilford film, other Kodak film, etc. (In fact the only film I've ever noticed a strong difference with is Rollei films, which are very noticeably thinner)
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    TMY (and probably TMX too) are indeed thicker than most other films (Tri-x, FP4, HP5, Delta, Neopan 400, to name a few). Every time I shoot 'ordinary' film after TMY/TMX, I think to myself "hey this is smooth, is this alright actually, something broken?". This is in a Rolleiflex TLR; the Hasselblad may be too tank-like to notice much of a difference.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have another back I will try but tmx 100 works fine and doesn't feel hard to turn, etc. Also it really is curled up when I try to put in on reels. I like TMY but I may have to use Delta 400 as it is indeed not as stiff and loads on my reels well. When t max films came out I found them a little stiff in my old 35 mm camera.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin