Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,243   Online: 1136

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertil View Post
    Thanks Sander, I think we are on same track!
    Good you added the problemes with air bubbles, forgot that!
    And yes, I also think I normally use somewhat more solution than just above the film, I think I end up at 550, perhaps even 600 ml,
    Your formulation: "2. make sure the tank is big enough to allow all developer to clear the film when the tank is fully inverted," points to why filling up the tank with rolls of film will give you problems, the "up going" airbubbles that manufactures talk about when inverting the tank is just not enough!
    You also confirm my hesitaion about two rolls in 1 liter Paterson tank, even though it has a big mouth, but probably will not fulfill your point 2 which is most important.

I can also add that the rotating drum Jobo system (like my CPE-2) gives overdeveloped edges on 120-film. I try to avoid that by regularly inverting the drum during the development process, and it seems to work well for my C-41 developing process.

Best regards
    /Bertil
    Bertil and Sander: I hope you're still monitoring this. I got sidetracked but wanted to show you a couple of frames to see if you think they show what you're talking about. I had pursued this on another thread, thinking it was light leaks in my Hasselblad 120 back. Do you think this is more likely to be the type of uneven development you're talking about? This is the contact sheet and one frame from the problem roll:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110402_contact_sm.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	364.5 KB 
ID:	51114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20110402_06_sm.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	521.7 KB 
ID:	51115

The other thread about light leaks is here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/9...ml#post1173068
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey Jeff,

This looks like uneven development, definitely not a light leak. I've had a light leak in my Hasselblad once- it looked completely different.

In 2008, when I picked up medium format again after too long a hiatus, my first film or films (I don't remember how long the problem persisted) showed the exact same unevenness as your example photo(s). After some reading, thinking and trying I got rid of it.

Name:	neopan400_rodinal_oct08001.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	51130

Name:	neopan400_rodinal_oct08002.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	51131

There is a personal element to solving this problem (because not one workflow is the same between different people/equipment), but I can say for myself that sticking to my own rules (), as set out in my previous post in this thread, simply works. Maybe you can take these and other people's advice on this issue as a starting point for finding your own consistently successful developing method.

I am a bit puzzled as to why there isn't more talk about this issue floating around on the web. Surely many starters in 120 must run into this or some similar agitation problem. Well, maybe there is talk, but not so much a unanimous solution. This again may have to do with everybody working in their own particular way. Too many variables, in other words.

When I was confronted with this problem I was somewhat dismayed that none of the 'official' sources (Ilford, Kodak, Way Beyond Monochrome, etc.) take it on in a practical manner. If it is mentioned at all, then most sources suffice to say something like "uneven development is most likely related to improper agitation, agitate sufficiently, most importantly at the start of the process". Well, maybe it is properly dealt with (i.e. practical and in detail) somewhere. If somebody knows a good source please let us know.

It would be a pity that beginners turn away from 120 because of such a trivial problem.

I hope you get this sorted out Jeff. No need to explain to me how annoying and frustrating it can be.

"There's no trick to it, it's just a simple trick!" (The Simpsons- Bart's Inner Child, 1993.)

Sander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sander, thanks for posting your negs. They look like several others I have, where the unevenness is more subtle than the ones I posted above. I believe my problem has probably been developing two rolls in a two-roll tank or developing one roll in a one roll tank and taking it too easy on the agitation. With 35mm, I always have an empty reel or two on top of the tank, but not always with 120. I'll follow your advice and that of Bertil. It's odd, everyone kind of agreed on the other thread that it was light leaks, but I believe now that it's a devlpt problem.

Thanks!
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In the other thread I myself said: "Your problem looks like a light leak from the slot but it's nice to be sure before doing a replacement of the seals."

Honestly, I don't know why I said that. It really doesn't like look like a typical Hasselblad dark slide slot light leak at all, but every bit the result of uneven development due to (probably) stuffing too much film and solution in too little tank volume.

I may be wrong again though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A Hasselblad back light leak will occur when the bright source [usually the Sun] is to the left. The light crosses the back and exposes the film on the right side of the camera. Since the photograph image is inverted, the left side of the slide or print has the light flare.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, in my example above and one of Sander's, it looks like the flare is on both sides, indicating a development problem?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sirius Glass is right: a light leak shows up asymmetrically. (Example images.)

Jeff's and my negatives show uneven development, nothing more to it. I apologize for saying differently in the other thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, no need for apologies. Thanks for the help!
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I occasionally experience(d) the same kind of uneven development with my 'Blad negatives. Not often, but very annoying when it happens...
    In those cases, the negatives were underexposed as well, so I assume that there is a correlation. What do you think? Is this possible?

I am using both a Paterson tank (500 ml) and Jobo 1520, and my developer is Spur HRX-III, which requires 2 initial inversions, then 1 inversion every 30 seconds, so not much movement here.
    Film is Acros or Tri-X, sometimes/seldom Delta 400.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swittmann View Post
    In those cases, the negatives were underexposed as well, so I assume that there is a correlation. What do you think? Is this possible?
    Perhaps your negatives are not underexposed but underdeveloped. It can be hard to spot the difference. If there is sufficient detail in the shadows then your negatives are probably only underdeveloped.

In case there is underdevelopment this may have been caused by insufficient agitation or by too small a ratio of agitation time and total development time. (There are other possible causes of underdevelopment, but they shouldn't be relevant in this context.) Too little agitation in turn may give rise to uneven development. So yes, there could be a causal relationship between uneven development and underdevelopment mistaken for underexposure.

I am using both a Paterson tank (500 ml) and Jobo 1520, and my developer is Spur HRX-III, which requires 2 initial inversions, then 1 inversion every 30 seconds, so not much movement here.
    Two initial inversions is a bit little. Try at least 30 seconds of initial agitation. Proper initial agitation is crucial in obtaining evenly developed negatives.

Also, if you're using the smallest size Paterson tank, try to get one size bigger (the one that takes two 135 films). Agitate such that all developer is allowed to clear the film, in other words invert fully and not too short. This allows the agitation to 'look' the same to any random area of the film.

Film is Acros or Tri-X, sometimes/seldom Delta 400.
    The film and the camera seem unlikely culprits.

Good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin