Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,786   Online: 980

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I worked for an old school photographer that graduated from Brooks. He hated VC paper. He believes that a good photographer should "build" a negative to fit a specific grade of paper. You sure have to have your film processing dialed in to hit that small target.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That sounds silly and plain stubborn to me. Unless you are always shooting under normal contrast conditions, building a negative to fit a specific grade of paper involves compromises. I don't like compromising when it isn't necessary. The negative is a means to an end. One should consider all the options available when making the negative - if the goal is the final print. On the other hand if the goal is simply to make negatives that fit grade 2, well, that doesn't sound like photography to me.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 05-14-2012 at 11:02 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree. I think it's a good way to train yourself on film processing and printing. Probably a good way to teach students analog photographic processes too.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I agree. I think it's a good way to train yourself on film processing and printing. Probably a good way to teach students analog photographic processes too.
    And it is good experience for moving into alternative processes that require very different parameters.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One overlooked property of graded paper - Bill may have been alluding to this - is that you do not need a means of filtration for control. No learning of dial in filtration is required, no choice of filter sytem and no concern as to wether you are using 'reliable' filters. I'm not saying this is advantageous or otherwise, just saying.
    I use a large range of papers most of which are variable grade. I use split grade printing succesfully, though I probably use more test paper for fine tuning than is economical, but I actually prefer to work with graded paper, partly because of the considerations above and with my long experience of printing I'd be pretty content to use Grades 2 and 3 for the bulk of my needs.
    The reason for my continued use of variable grade is that it seems to just come my way over the years in quantity for various reasons, and because there are some really interesting and diverse papers that are only made as variable grade. When I've reduced my stock to a lower level I will buy more fixed grade.

Regards, Mark Walker.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some curve differences between graded and VC. Look at the tech sheets for MGIV and Gallerie. The Gallerie still shows the now unavailable grades 1 and 4. The highlight area shows more change with grade in the graded paper. I have heard about this before. If these data sheets are correct Gallerie #1 and MGIV #1 would look different. Of course finding graded papers in extreme contrasts is impossible now except for buying old paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Friday, I will be heading to Brussels and buy some Ilford IlfoBrom Grade 2 and 3.
    Then I will print some negatives which fit these grades, and print them as well on
    ilford multigrade IV. I will take the time to produce the best prints within my (limited)
    printing skills and compare.

I'll post my findings, but this may take a while

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oeps, very expensive stuff. Price almost double MG IV FB.
    I do not know if I should give it a try.
    I do not think that the quality will be double as well...
    and to me MG IV FB is already really good.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by henk@apug View Post
    If you order from Silverprint in London, Galerie is only 10 - 15 % more than MGIV FB .
    Give it a try.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/index.asp

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by henk@apug View Post
    I value the Galerie double, though I agree MG IV FB is very good.

If it is not too expensive for you, you might buy one grade to try (instead of both), then use it when a negative fits. It won't be wasted money because you will get good prints.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin