Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,884   Online: 857

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For clarity - when you have used up the first batch of X-Tol in a replenishment regime, you don't toss the 2 liters of working solution. It continues to do its job - you just need more X-Tol to continue replenishing. So you mix 5 liters more, and use it at 70 ml replenisher per roll.
    ahh, of course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am little confused with the replenishment regime.

After mixing to 5l pour into,

1l + 1l +1l in small three seperate bottles.

2l in one bottle.

Very first roll: Developing tank(300ml)

70ml from small 1l bottle + 230ml from 2l bottle = 300ml.

After development, pour 230ml from developing tank back into 2l bottle and rest to drain.

With this I can develop 42 rolls(35mm film) from 3l of Xtol.

My question is,

After I ran out of xtol in three small 1l bottles should I have to pour down the 2l solution to drain too or can I keep this and mix the fresh xtol and get one more 2l bottle and continue using the old(230ml) + new(70ml).
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not saying you're doing it the wrong way, but it is your entire volume of working solution (2 liter) that should get replenished with fresh 70ml per roll.

1. You take as much out of the 2L bottle as you need to develop, and use that to process your film.
    2. Pour X number of rolls multiplied by 70ml fresh Xtol stock back into the 2L bottle BEFORE you finish developing.
    3. Pour as much of what you extracted to develop your film back into the 2L bottle, and discard what doesn't fit.

If you mix it the way you did, only part of the fresh 70ml you extract for developing gets poured back into the 2L bottle, which means you'll end up under-replenishing your system.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by baachitraka View Post
    I am little confused with the replenishment regime.

After mixing to 5l pour into,

1l + 1l +1l in small three seperate bottles.

2l in one bottle.

Very first roll: Developing tank(300ml)

70ml from small 1l bottle + 230ml from 2l bottle = 300ml.

After development, pour 230ml from developing tank back into 2l bottle and rest to drain.

With this I can develop 42 rolls(35mm film) from 3l of Xtol.

My question is,

After I ran out of xtol in three small 1l bottles should I have to pour down the 2l solution to drain too or can I keep this and mix the fresh xtol and get one more 2l bottle and continue using the old(230ml) + new(70ml).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meaning, initially I can start with 1+1 from 2l bottle for atleast 3 rolls of film and start to replinish the 2l bottle with say 3x70ml before the development of 4th roll. Then continue the development using the solution from 2l bottle and pour it back till it fits(after development).

Further, how are development times considered for replinished XTOL?
    Last edited by baachitraka; 05-14-2012 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    interesting thread! I use Xtol as my main dev. but found it problematic combined with Delta400, the film never got sufficient contrast or highlights, and have experimented with allsorts of dilutions and dev times. but with Neopan 400 (only in 135 unfortunately) and Delta100 results are excellent. I now use Xtol stock in rotary tank, it takes 150 ml for 135 and 300ml for 120 film. very economical.
    Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to reply. I know consider myself learn-ed! I see I will have to use my fixer 'stock'. What is a safe number of times I can re-use the same stock kodak fixer?
    Speed Graphic, Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Meaning, initially I can start with 1+1 from 2l bottle for atleast 3 rolls of film and start to replinish the 2l bottle with say 3x70ml before the development of 4th roll. Then continue the development using the solution from 2l bottle and pour it back till it fits(after development).

No. If you're replenishing, you must use stock and not dilute it 1+1. You either use 1+1 and discard, or you use stock and (hopefully) replenish.

Keep in mind that when you replenish, the activity of the stock will start out high (it is fresh stock! use the published 1+0 times initially) and then reduce over the course of a few rolls to a level similar to what you get from 1+1. It should then level off and give consistent performance while you're replenishing it, with the performance (and therefore development time) depending on your replenishment rate. You will need to find that development time yourself through a little experimentation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to reply. I know consider myself learn-ed! I see I will have to use my fixer 'stock'. What is a safe number of times I can re-use the same stock kodak fixer?
    If you use your fixer for papers:
    http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/pr...3cp/e103cp.pdf

If you use your fixer for film:
    http://www.kodak.com:80/global/en/pr...3cf/e103cf.pdf

Lots of info on the Kodak web site. You really should be looking this sort of information up before you ask. It takes less time than waiting for an answer here, and you learn other things as you look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phelger View Post
    interesting thread! I use Xtol as my main dev. but found it problematic combined with Delta400, the film never got sufficient contrast or highlights, and have experimented with allsorts of dilutions and dev times. but with Neopan 400 (only in 135 unfortunately) and Delta100 results are excellent. I now use Xtol stock in rotary tank, it takes 150 ml for 135 and 300ml for 120 film. very economical.
    Peter
    If you don't get enough contrast with any film and developer combination, you extend the developing time until you do. Xtol will give more contrast than you need if you develop long enough.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polyglot answered your first question perfectly.

Regarding developing time - start with Kodak's recommended times for stock solution before the 2 liter working solution is seasoned. After you put about 15 rolls through it will be seasoned, and you can pretty much go by Kodak's times for 1+1 dilution to start.

But truly, you develop your negatives for as long as you need to get the contrast you want in them.
    Too much contrast? Reduce time.
    Too little contrast? Increase time.
    Practice until you see how this relates to contrast in the scenes you photograph, how you compensate for this by changing developing time, and most of all what your prints look like.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin