Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,614   Posts: 1,647,660   Online: 922

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Newbie -Xtol with Ilford Delta 400 dilutions

Hi all, first up apologies for posting yet another Xtol post, I have read through the back log of posts but am more confused rather than enlightened! I am not looking to replenish my chemicals just chuck them away after each use.

I have bought an Xtol sachet that makes 5L of developer. My paterson tank takes 600ml for my 120 film.

If I use Xtol neat (full strength) then it will go down at the same rate as my ilfosol-3 (500ml bottle, 60ml +540ml water; 1:9) I have read that each 120 roll needs a minimum of 100ml of Xtol to dev properly.

Does this mean that I can use 100ml of Xtol + 500ml of Water (1:5)??

What are the usual dilutions people use for this? and what dev times would you recommend for Ilford Delta 400 and Kodak TMAX 100?

I also have bought Kodak professional fixer sachet that makes 3.8 litres. What dilutions and fixer times would work well for me?

Thanks in advance,

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Paul:

I would suggest using X-Tol in a replenishment regime.

You separate your developer into something like 3 one liter bottles and one 2 liter bottle.

You use your 2 liter bottle as your "working" solution.

Each time you develop a film, you put 70ml of unused X-Tol from the smaller bottles into the 2 liter bottle. When the developing stage of the process is complete, you pour as much of the developer as you can from the developing tank back into the 2 liter bottle. You discard the excess (about 70 ml).

That way you end up using about 70 ml X-Tol per roll - its quite economical.

I use the manufacturers' recommended developing times as my starting point when it comes to film and developer combinations. When the manufacturers don't agree, I split the difference.

As for the fixer, that packaging indicates standard rather than rapid fixer. Kodak recommends up to 10 minutes of fixing time for that combination. I use two baths, of 5 minutes each.

Here is Kodak's chemistry matrix: http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/p...3cf/e103cf.pdf

And their documentation for X-Tol: http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/p.../j109/j109.pdf

And their documentation for T-Max 100: http://wwwcaen.kodak.com/global/en/p...4016/f4016.pdf

And Ilford's documentation for Delta 400: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...8953322222.pdf

Welcome, and have fun!

PS: I would strongly recommend wandering through both the Ilford and Kodak websites - they are chock full of useful info!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're looking to use Xtol as a single shot developer, follow Kodak's recommendations to begin with. There simply are no better recommendations out there. You may use it as a stock solution or 1+1. Some like to dilute it more, which is something Kodak does not recommend anymore.
    The 100ml is, I believe, more for those doing rotary development on a motor base, insuring they have enough chemistry so the developer doesn't exhaust.

Also follow the directions for your fixer that Kodak prints on the dry chemical packets you bought. Or download them at their web site.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just recently mixed up fresh batch of X-Tol and this is may procedure: I previously purchased a dozen amber 16 oz bottles (roughly equivalent to 500 ml) for about $20 USD. I mix my Xtol according to the directions in a large bucket. I then decant that solution into 10 of those 16oz bottles which I use 1:1 for a working solution in which I develop either 2 rolls of 120 or 4 rolls of 35mm. The cost of the bottles are your biggest expense, but I've been re-using them now for about 3 years. I've kept my mixed solutions for over 6 months with no problems. I prefer one shot developers over replenishment because I don't have to concern myself with replenishment rates, contamination, etc.
    Good luck!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't shoot Delta 400, but I use a lot of Xtol and would recommend you use it at 1+1. You'll probably also find the tank needs 500mL; the 600mL is for 2 of 135 spirals. That means you're using 2.5x as much as you strictly need to (exhaustion-wise), unless you can spool two rolls into the spiral end-to-end.

Diluting at 1+4 is not recommended; at higher dilutions Xtol seems to have a habit of just not working at all and the higher published dilutions (now deprecated) never went past 1+3. Go with 1+1 and read the Xtol instructions in the FAQ in my signature.

For the fixer, follow the instructions on the packet or get the PDF from Kodak's website.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The nicest looking results I've had with Delta 400 is shooting it at 100, and processing in Xtol Replenished @ 24 celsius, it's around 5-6 minutes, it's on Kodak's chart. It looks like a completely different film like this, very 'shiny' to put it.

Gentle agitation a few seconds every minute.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a minimum of 100ml of stock XTOL per roll of film. 1+1 is an excellent dilution for standard use. 1+3 is slightly sharper (depending on how you develop) but in general is most useful when softer development is desired. Some people like 1+2, but I have found if you want a meaningful difference in working properties it is best to use half-strength increments (ie 1+0, 1+1, 1+3). Any more dilute than 1+3 and there are other developers that will do better with less fuss. In general I would recommend any developer be used 1 shot, but there are also those who advocate replenishment.

I don't have any tests with Delta 400. I have data for TMax 100 at 1+1/1+3, but everyone's conditions are different (ie exposure index, temperature, tanks, reels, agitation scheme/technique, enlarger, paper, aesthetic preferences). Suggest starting with Kodak's guidelines and altering to suit your needs based on results.
    Last edited by Michael R 1974; 05-13-2012 at 07:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just in case it isn't clear enough from other comments regarding your question.... 1:1 would mean 300ml Xtol developer to 300ml water. Personally, I've settled into 1:2 (200ml to 400ml water) for getting the general combination of grain edge, film speed and tones. You will need to experiment and decide about the look that you prefer with your equipment and subjects. Keep good records and comments as you progress through this as you'll be surprised at how quickly the details disappear from memory if you aren't at it continuously.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    That way you end up using about 70 ml X-Tol per roll - its quite economical.
    Very!

Just did some calcs and you'd process 40+ films using this method (plus however many you were willing to do using the 2lt's after you run out of 'replenisher'). I use it 1:1 but one-shot and use 250ml (or thereabouts) per film so 5lt does 20 films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Very!

Just did some calcs and you'd process 40+ films using this method (plus however many you were willing to do using the 2lt's after you run out of 'replenisher'). I use it 1:1 but one-shot and use 250ml (or thereabouts) per film so 5lt does 20 films.
    For clarity - when you have used up the first batch of X-Tol in a replenishment regime, you don't toss the 2 liters of working solution. It continues to do its job - you just need more X-Tol to continue replenishing. So you mix 5 liters more, and use it at 70 ml replenisher per roll.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin