Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,654   Online: 782

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hope to be in the darkroom this weekend. I will adjust the fix time to 2min per bath (at 1+4) and report results.

charles
    cr frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Will also try going from fixer to toner and see if that helps.
    cr frank

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cr frank View Post
    Having a problem with staining on Ilford MG Warmtone Fiber after toning with KRST.
    two 1 min bath Hypam/5 min HCA/30 min wash in vertical washer then tone in KRST 1-20 for two min.
    Staining is usually in boarders but sometime it continues into image area.
    any suggestions are welcome..

thanks
    charles
    Hi Charles,

Are you certain it's a post-fixer issue? Sometimes the stains aren't easy to see under safelights. What colour(s) are the stains?

Sometimes, and with certain papers, stains (usually purple-ish) can occur because of developer being carried over into the fixer and reacting, causing a stain. I've found that immersing prints in a fresh stop bath for at least two minutes after the developer and before the fixer helps avoid this problem. Washing chemicals off your hands and tongs while the print is in the stop bath also helps avoid cross-contamination. These stains appear on the print borders because that's where we tend to handle them. Been there, done that - it took me ages to work out why I was getting stains on my prints.

This might, or might not, be related to your problem.

Incidentally, selenium toners contain ammonium thiosulphate so it's probably not worth washing for 30 mins after fixing if you're going to selenium tone the print straight afterwards. YMMV.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i processed and toned 7 prints...increasing fixer to two 2 min. bath of hypam. 5 out of 7 prints had stains. Stains were not noticeable until prints were dry.
    cr frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could there be a flow problem with your vertical washer?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Could there be a flow problem with your vertical washer?
    Could be...i wont discount anything at this point. Stains tend to be on the bottom border of the print. Next time i wash i will start the prints upside down and see if that has an effect. I do rotate the prints.....wash 30min. rotate wash 30min.

Thanks
    Charles
    cr frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just solved my own staining problem.

I occasionally had some strange marks on borders. Either areas of dirty spots or occasionally multiple spots along the side of paper.

It was caused by the developer tray.

I usually put prints face down into the developer then once the paper soaks up the developer, I flip it. Well, since I use Dektol, it stains bottom of the tray. Yesterday, I printed 26 sheets and a few had this stain and one had the stain appearing at a regular interval. This interval matched the ridges at bottom of the tray.

Apparently, when I put the paper in, it occasionally scrapes the bottom, the brown stuff at bottom of the tray transfers, and become more visible once paper is dry.

Could that be your problem??
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Apparently, when I put the paper in, it occasionally scrapes the bottom, the brown stuff at bottom of the tray transfers, and become more visible once paper is dry.

Could that be your problem??
    Such effects that might be barely visible on a straight print can have dramatic effects when toning is done. I experienced this during a Tim Rudman toning course, where the texture on the vertical sides of my well-cleaned Nova processor became visible on prints only after toning.

In this case, careful and regular agitation solved the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    The staining is caused by residual silver in the paper. Causes are

• Insufficient fixing - increase fixing time to 3 minutes in each of two baths, the one minute fix routine is for RC;
    • Spent fixer with too much dissolved silver - try fresh fix in both baths;
    • Not enough washing - make HCA up just before use, discard after use, try doubling wash time.
    Add bad paper to that. There was a batch of Forte PW14 which was known for a simlar but uniform stain from contamination with metalic silver in the emulsion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin