Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,266   Online: 1162

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Batteries?
    its fresh. the 645 doesn't function if battery is dead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, let's see. Battery fresh, lens cap is not on. Film did not get exposed. Old film.

You should have gotten something on that film. I've used old and expired APX 100 and ten years out of date it was still close to full speed.

Either you test more of the same film in a different camera, or you test a different film in the same camera.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Well, let's see. Battery fresh, lens cap is not on. Film did not get exposed. Old film.

You should have gotten something on that film. I've used old and expired APX 100 and ten years out of date it was still close to full speed.

Either you test more of the same film in a different camera, or you test a different film in the same camera.
    Excellent! I will do that. I am already running a 400 speed fresh film through the same camera, a tried and tested film that I am very used to developing. I will run the suspect APX100 through another camera. Hope to nail something!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    Yes, I think I do typically.

I was wondering about this as well and doubting myself on the film loading error part. All I remember now is seeing the starting arrow to line up before closing the film back and that the exposed roll was wound properly when it came out.
    All of what you say is possible with the film incorrectly loaded. It is surprising easy to load it so the backing paper covers the film. When you load it the black part of the backing paper needs to be against the pressure plate so the film part is in front and thus exposed to the shutter opening.

If the coloured( white in the case of Ilford) front of the backing paper iwas showing then the film part is underneath and cannot be exposed.

You may not have done this but as we appear able to rule out everything else based on your replies then I have to suggest what may appear to be the impossible.

I have had a P645N for many months now and still have to think hard about loading " the right way round"

In a rush or being distracted or not concentrating on the loading and I can easily imagine getting it wrong

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    In a rush or being distracted or not concentrating on the loading and I can easily imagine getting it wrong

pentaxuser
    could very well be. i feel very dumb if that was indeed the case.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions. i now know the most likely scenarios. but wish i could go back and check/fix them. live and learn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's an easy mistake to make, and not a particuarly uncommon one.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    When you load it the black part of the backing paper needs to be against the pressure plate so the film part is in front and thus exposed to the shutter opening.

pentaxuser
    I have realised that I have made a mistake in how I have phrased this.Sorry for that. I should have said that the white or coloured part of the backing paper need to be against the pressure plate and it is the black part that should be showing so the film is in front and open to exposure from the shutter.

Doesn't alter what I was trying to say which is that it is easy to cover the film accidentally and my mistake in explaining things only goes to show how easy it is to get the loading wrong when the right way can appear to be counter intuitive.

This can especially be the case if a previous roll film camera was of the older folder variety where the coloured part of the backing paper does need to show when you look through the red window.

I have an Agfa Isolette and when I moved to the P645N loading seemed to be the wrong way round

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    ... i keep things simple, only use 1 developer,
    nothing rodinal, or boutique .. i process everything in coffee for about 30mins ...
    I like this! Nothing boutique about coffee! :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think it has been said already but this really does seem like the film was the wrong way out, backing paper toward the Shutter instead of the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I managed to load my 1st roll inside out.. and got exactly the same result! After some advice (in a chat room... pre APUG) I loaded another correctly, shot 15 junk exposures and in 15mins had confirmation that my eBay special wasn't stuffed at all...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin