Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,899   Online: 929

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Take the back off the camera and shoot some pictures and look through the body and see if it actually is opening.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    While you are at it... take the dark slide out with the back off the camera (waste a couple shots) and see if the shiny side is showing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions. Right now I am narrowing it down to loading my film wrong in the film holder.

Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    I am already running a 400 speed fresh film through the same camera, a tried and tested film that I am very used to developing. I will run the suspect APX100 through another camera. Hope to nail something!
    I will know more and report back after I do the above two experiments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks to all for the ideas and suggestions. Right now I am narrowing it down to loading my film wrong in the film holder.

I will know more and report back after I do the above two experiments.
    There are little stylized diagrams right on the inserts themselves which indicate the proper orientation for the film path.

And pages 18 and 19 of the manual set out quite clearly the necessary information. In case you don't have it, here is the (recently restored) page on the Mamiya website that has links for the various 645 manuals: http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/documentation_legacy_645.asp
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Is it possible it wasn't loaded correctly, and therefore didn't advance?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbosilverette View Post
    Is it possible it wasn't loaded correctly, and therefore didn't advance?
    That is what I thought initially, but it would be obvious that there was no tag of glued paper available to seal the film if it hadn't gone through the camera.

Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe the shutter isn't opening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, i had same problem and found out later that the film didn't advanced, but the worse mistake is when you load it and expose it fine then there is still something wrong, the two issues i had so far are one is blank rolls which is due to not exposing it[not advancing] or the developer is dead but this is not true because i see the markings, and second is that i miss one frame in the roll or have part of it, later i found it is because i didn't loaded the film accurate correct due to the arrow, now if i will do those mistakes again means i was careless and i just didn't keep attention to errors causes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestions. All are in line of what I was thinking.
    Everything points to the film not exposed at all. But thats what I am thoroughly confused about.
    The dark slide was out of the film holder. I remember taking it off before shooting. I was using the main shutter button the front of the 645 Pro TL (and not the auto winder). I also remember putting the dark slide back after the shoot was complete and before I took the film holder off of the camera back.
    Hmmm...I had a Bronica ETRSi (purchased when new) and I had in my bag some used film magazines as well as some new film magazines. With one of the used magazines, the interlock mechanism protruded into the body a little too much. As a result, when I released the shutter button, the reflex mirror would rise and I thought the shutter fired. Processed film, blank images. Then I noticed that the little red indicator light in the viewfinder did not activate, so the shutter was not opening and closing again...because the interlock pin interfered with the rise of the reflex mirror, preventing the in-lens shutter from firing. I sent in the film magazine along with the body, and Bronica fixed the problem...by shortening the interlocking pin in the magazine so that the reflex mirror would fully rise and let the in-lens shutter fire.

Long story to say that there may be an oddball thing going on.
    • Have you tried dry firing the camera, to make sure your shutter curtain slit is travelling across the film plane?
    • Are you noticing that the viewfinder blanks out for a moment, so that you know the reflex mirror is rising up out of the way of the light path?
    • Have you tried removing the film back, and firing the camera with lens mounted, and observe thru the camera that you can see the lens stop down and see light thru the aperture?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I am happy to report that I have concluded that the reason why the negatives came out blank was because of incorrect loading of the 120 roll in the film insert.

First, I tried a fresh roll of film, Arista EDU Ultra 400 in the Mamiya 645 Pro TL camera, souped it in HC-110 dil.H and all frames came out fine. Therefore there was nothing wrong with the camera. Here is a test shot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120520221649-5378c269.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	217.3 KB 
ID:	51350

Next, I shot another roll of the suspect Agfa APX 100 film in a different camera, a Bronica SQ-Ai and souped it using the exact same method as before (Rodinal 1:50 for 13 mins). All frames were exposed properly. Here is an example shot:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20120520221651-af4f2d27.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	51349

Nothing wrong with the camera or the film. Its just that the film was loaded wrong. And I didn't even know it.

Hopefully this posts help someone else down the road. Lesson learned for me: I need to pay attention when loading the roll films in the inserts.

Thanks for everybody's help and suggestions. I am glad I can drop in at apug for all the helping hand.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin