Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,249   Online: 754

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

blank negatives after souping! help me narrow down the possibilities

I have googled and read several posts on this, but I am still having a hard time coming to grips with this loss. I need some advice and suggestions on how to track down what could have gone wrong.

I shot a roll of 120, Agfa APX 100 (fairly old, like 10 years) in my Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Souped it in Rodinal 1:50 for 13 minutes. The negatives came out bleach blank, absolutely no trace of black. except of course the edge markings which are clearly visible.

I was extra careful as always in checking the order of developer, stop and fix going into the can, therefore the fix before developer is ruled out. When I poured out the can after developer, the liquid was dark purple!

I checked the camera and shutter and nothing seems to be wrong that can cause major light leaks. The film was loaded correctly and I checked it when I took the exposed roll out of the film back. I loaded the film into reels inside a bag with lot of care as always.

Could it be a fogged film? It took it out of a wrapper when I loaded it. I am tempted to go try out the same film, camera and souping combo once again and see what happens. But I thought I would post this question to seek some help to narrow down some scenarios that could have caused this.

Good thing that there was nothing valuable in the shots. However, I must admit that it is really heartbreaking to pull out blank negatives after all the effort in shooting and then going through all the inversions and swirling with high expectations at the end.
    Last edited by kmallick; 05-15-2012 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you see edge markings, film and developers, and the sequence of processing are fine. If they were wrong, edge marking itself won't be there.

If there was absolutely no image of any kind, then film wasn't exposed. Did you remove the dark slide? Pro and super backs are interlocked and won't let you trip the shutter with the dark slide in - except when the darkslide is pulled part way, or when this interlock is broken. It's just a small electrical switch in the back itself and the cam that control this. I had an occasion where this switch became lose and will let me release shutter with the dark slide in.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    I shot a roll of 120 APX 100 (fairly old, like 10 years) in my Mamiya 645 Pro TL. Souped it in Rodinal 1:50 for 13 minutes. The negatives came out bleach blank, absolutely no trace of black. except of course the edge markings which are clearly visible.

I checked the camera and shutter and nothing seems to be wrong that can cause major light leaks. The film was loaded correctly and I checked it when I took the exposed roll out of the film back. I loaded the film into reels inside a bag with lot of care as always.

Could it be a fogged film? It was inside a wrapper when I loaded it. I am tempted to go try out the same film, camera and souping combo once again and see what happens. But I thought I would post this question to seek some help to narrow down some scenarios that could have caused this.
    Since you say "The negatives came out bleach blank, absolutely no trace of black. except of course the edge markings which are clearly visible." it appears the developer worked (edge markings). It can't be a light leak or fogged film because you said it was clear (if I interpret what you said correctly). It sounds like a shutter problem (or failure to remove a dark slide).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Remove lens cap before taking picture.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the suggestions. All are in line of what I was thinking.
    Everything points to the film not exposed at all. But thats what I am thoroughly confused about.
    The dark slide was out of the film holder. I remember taking it off before shooting. I was using the main shutter button the front of the 645 Pro TL (and not the auto winder). I also remember putting the dark slide back after the shoot was complete and before I took the film holder off of the camera back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkprints View Post

Or.... make sure the sun is shining that day.... (seriously though, Pro TL is an SLR. It would be obvious if the lens cap was on)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkprints View Post
    Its a SLR and I saw the image when shooting (albeit some were with mirror locked up). It was off, I promise!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What lens? Are you using lens with leaf shutter?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sounds like not enough exposure.
    old film looses speed ..
    if you exposed at asa 100
    and processed as normal,
    you might have under exposed
    by a handful of stops, even though
    your edge markings looked OK

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    What lens? Are you using lens with leaf shutter?
    I was using the Mamiya 120mm macro. Its not a leaf shutter lens. I have used it before and it performs flawlessly.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin