Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,435   Online: 793

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Kodak chemistry made by Tetenal?

Hi,
    I've just come across this new bottle of Tmax dev. http://www.macodirect.de/kodak-tmax-pi-656.html
    The bottle is clearly a Tetenal bottle.
    Is the new Kodak chemistry made by Tetenal??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe they just buy their bottles from the same bottle-making company.

Shooter
    35mm
    I noticed the same bottle type switch when Ilford changed their chemistry maker some time ago. Now we know Ilford chemistry is made by Tetenal too...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's an assumption, isn't it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the costs of shipping these days not all a company's chemistry is is necessarily made in the same plant. Shipping water is costly !

You could be reading too much into it as Old-N-Feeble says the days of bespoke packaging are over when costs need to be kept down.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak (and others) may also be using different packagers in different locations.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't say this is a smoking gun that proves Kodak chemicals are made by Tetenal. It's a bit like saying D-76 must be made by Ziploc since it's shipped in a plastic bag. I would simply say that Kodak needed to move to slimmer bottles so they could ship more in the same size box, and probably use less plastic in making them. A lot of companies have done this recently. If you can go from shipping 16 to 24 bottles in one box, you're saving money.

The "old" bottles were fairly thick, and maybe with more modern plastics they don't need to be as thick to protect the chemicals. That is pure speculation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The chemicals themselves aren't made by Tetenal - they are made by Champion, under license.

Champion is one of the big creditors owed large amounts of money in the bankruptcy listing.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you kept your ears to the ground, you would know the truth of the matter. Or, you would have dirt in your ears! Whichever.

I have heard that Tetenal is supposedly making some Kodak chemicals. There are several here that might have the details.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I have heard that Tetenal is supposedly making some Kodak chemicals. There are several here that might have the details.

PE
    Bingo!
    Thanks PE.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin