Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,529   Posts: 1,543,959   Online: 1059

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well then, i will use that ID-11 as test dev as well, i will use it for my LF test films.

Developers are formulated for film speed, sharpness, or fine grain. No developer optimizes more than one. I can mix D76 from scratch in one liter batches and it lasts 6 months decanted into eight 4 oz bottles. Dilute 1:1 for use.

It is a nice middle of the road developer that does not optimize any feature. I have yet to fine a film that is not at least good in it except the new /current formulation of Delta 400, 100 is just fine. For 400 use Extol or Ilford equivalent liquid and it is superb. I have a thing against premixed liquids when they code the dates so you can not read them. Really bad when it does not go off color when bad like DD-X, but if fresh it is wonderful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Developers are formulated for film speed, sharpness, or fine grain. No developer optimizes more than one.
    Actually, Xtol does all three, it's sharp, fine grained, and yields gobs of shadow detail. It rocks with subjects where light hits them directly, but in subdued light it can look a little dull in the tonality it renders, which to me is the main compromise with this developer.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Actually, Xtol does all three, it's sharp, fine grained, and yields gobs of shadow detail. It rocks with subjects where light hits them directly, but in subdued light it can look a little dull in the tonality it renders, which to me is the main compromise with this developer.
    Have to agree and so do Kodak themselves in the link posted earlier in this thread

I'd add that Pyrocat HD gives much the same in terms of a superb balance of fine grain, sharpness (definition) and tonal rendering and no loss of film speed

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Different developers also yield different tonal qualities and curves.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    ID-11 will be exactly the same as D76, because it IS exactly the same as D76. At one time they introduced an ID11 Plus which had a silver sequestering agent which was supposed to improve sharpness (I tried it and I thought it did) but when the T-grain films came out it apparently caused problems with those and they went back to the straight D76 formula.
    I don't think that the mysterious additive used in ID-11 Plus was ever revealed publicly. AFAIK, it was otherwise the basic ID-11 (D-76) formula.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tapscott. View Post
    I don't think that the mysterious additive used in ID-11 Plus was ever revealed publicly. AFAIK, it was otherwise the basic ID-11 (D-76) formula.
    I dint think the actual substance was revealed. The fact it was meant to prevent depleting of dissolved silver back onto the image via physical development was. There was a length article about it in Pop Photo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin