Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,409   Online: 1028

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    If you include a white border of the right size the image area becomes 2:3 on many papers.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why do hot dogs come in packs of 10 and buns in 12? The sweet mysteries of life. Me I shoot 2:3 a lot and 11x14 is my regular paper. I cut it 1/2, 7x11 is close enough, or if I want something smaller I cut it in 4. I keep 8x10 rc around just for contact sheets. And why does 4x5 film come in 25 sheet boxes? (well it did do) sheet film holders hold 2 after all, most do anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy a paper cutter. Cropped, at one time, meant exactly that.

In my opinion the paper should match what the image wants, not the size of the negative. However, I will admit to being strange, if you like.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    This used to drive me crazy, but now i crop my image as it demands and print on the size I'm using and not worry about it. The paper can be trimmed later during mounting. Most of my work lately is 6x6 on a Mamiya tlr and a pinhole. Some of it needs a square frame, some doesn't. I just go with it, I'm the kind of guy who would get stuck in little details like this and not produce at all if I'm not careful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another point to consider. 8x10 became the professional size print because it fit in a standard 8.5 x 11 filing cabinet. For 125 years or so that was how prints for publication or archival use were stored. Now of course we store them on a computer.

As for myself, my favorite format is 3:4, I usually print them on 8.5x11 paper with a 1/2 inch border, that is a 7.5x10 inch image. Both my digital cameras are Olympus 4:3 format so they work perfectly for that. None of my film cameras are that, but I often crop to fit that format. Oops, I forgot, I have a Kodak 620 Duo that is 6x4.5, but I have not gotten around to respooling some film to 620 for it.

But as I said in my previous post, ideally we should fit the crop to the image and not the image to the crop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While I agree that fitting the crop to the composition you want is the best artistic approach most times, if you're making a series of pictures and you want a certain size, you then have to fit the image to the crop. This becomes more useful with slide shows on a computer or on an HDTV where you want one picture to fade nicely over the previous one. So you standardize on a single crop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes, i used it to print 11x14,when i wasn't able to get that size in the uk.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Buy the next largest size to what you want use and trim it to the desired size with a paper cutter or a sharp knife. Use the left-overs as test strips.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry ! I didn't see that Bill Burk allready had suggested this.

Karl-Gustaf
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin