Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,506   Online: 905

Shooter
    35mm

New experience with particles

I have develop old "no name" (bulk) ortho 135 film with fresh POTA and fresh TF-2.When film was still wet there was plenty small particles (0.1-0.3 mm) all over film.Can't be crystals because fresh chemistry (14 hrs).After short investigation conclusion was that perforating machine didn't work properly and there is a still particles in perforations.Good point is that there is no scratches on film. Never saw this before.
    Franol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If its from bad perforation be careful using it in cameras as bits can jam a shutter.

Best thing you can do now is try a very agitated pre rinse before dev, to remove as much as possible to prevent those particles messing with development because of surface contact.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    But, man, those particles probably have already done the deed... You probably have white specks on the negs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Negatives are ok, because this particles sink on the bottom during developing.When I finish with fixer than they stay on the wet film.It is bulk film so it is possible to clean before put in to spool.
    Franol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you pull your leader out or when you tape the end to the cassette/magazine spool do you notice the particles near the sprocket holes?

If you don't it could just be particulate or undesolved chemicals. If that's the case you can strain them before you pour them in.

Shooter
    35mm
    I haven't notice any particles until I hang wet film.There was a still particles in few perforation because perforation machine didn't cut properly.But like I said it's ok because negatives are clear from scratches.
    Franol

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANOL View Post
    There was a still particles in few perforation because perforation machine didn't cut properly
    But if there are loose particles arround, they may have landed on thefilm surface beofre exposure thus causing a blank spot in the image becasue it did net get exposed as the speck was blocking the light.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    35mm
    I have found some particles in film loader,few in camera and the rest of particles are separate from perforation during developing.I have testing one film with POTA and Rodinal and both piece of film are ok.Just lucky
    Franol

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin