Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,000   Online: 709

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rodinal for sure

hc-110 for the higher contrast ----- caffenol-c for the interesting factor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have d76, xtol, and rodinal(adonal) stocked for development with arista films where I teach.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was taking photography at a local college, it offered Sprint as a basic developer, then had students experimenting with D76, XTOL, and Diafine.

The latter two was introduced when push processing was the subject of discussion.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for all the ideas.... I had been thinking Rodinal and caffenol. Perceptol will likely be added too.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi valerie

you could have them experiment with dektol, which is often used as a film developer.
    it gives a different look than d76 .. they say 1:7 7mins as a starting point.
    mad scientist thing with coffee ( caffenol C ) might be fun too easy to mix with teaspoons and no scales ( or exact measures! ) needed
    it can give a look anywhere from just like d76 to grainy and foggy any pyroesque without the worry of chemistry used.
    you can also add 1oz/32 of print developer into the caffenol .. it takes the edge off. i use ansco130 ...

good luck !
    john
    I haven't used anything but D-76... But john, you should make a stronger statement for caffenol. Especially since you have the examples to show what it can do.

This would be valuable as an eye-opener. See how little it takes to make a developer, this will open the student's minds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I went through two different high school photo programs. One used D-76 1:1, and re-used the developer. The other used HC-110 dilution H one shot. Both worked great, and I still use and love those developers to this day.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I don't know whether an experiment with a discontinued developer (Microdol-X) is the best learning experiment
    The Legacy Pro version has been mentioned. A related soloution would be the atomal A.K.A. A49 family, which is off the other way from Rodinal.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal would indeed be great. It would prove especially useful to show them regular (1:25 or 1:50) development, and then stand development; they'd surely see the difference one can make with only changes in dilution and agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I haven't used anything but D-76... But john, you should make a stronger statement for caffenol. Especially since you have the examples to show what it can do.

This would be valuable as an eye-opener. See how little it takes to make a developer, this will open the student's minds.

thanks bill !

valerie,
    caffenol c is, as long as you have the right ingredients, a simple, useful developer that compared to a lot of
    developers is made of benign ingredients. its a lot of fun to use, can be made without a lot of scaling / measuring out
    of the ingredients ( i don't measure anything for the most part i just free-pour the ingredients ). it yields negatives
    that look grainy and stainy sometimes, and other times like they were souped in d76... not much of a downside
    (other than what some refer to as an evil stench ). i haven't done it in a while, but you can just soak the film in the coffee
    without any of the other ingredients, it takes a while and it works !
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first thought was the same as Bill and John. Having them mix caffenol would make a stronger connection to the chemistry of photography, than opening a bag, or a jug. It could lead to a lot of experimentation, and learning, which is (after all) why teaching can be so rewarding.
    I say this as an ex- high school photo teacher...
    Eddie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin