Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,035   Online: 938

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok...getting very excited about the caffenol! I think they will love doing this.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Valerie- Don't get too excited, or we'll have to suggest de-caffenol for you...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ha!! That's right! It has to be caffeinated instant coffee for Caffenol-C to work. Don't be tasting the chems!

Valerie, Digital Truth has an easy version of Caffenol-C (ie US version in teaspoons and oz) below, I think your students will have a ball learning about such an organic developer, that is green no less, which students are pretty attuned with, then when I was in school...

http://www.digitaltruth.com/data/caffenol.php
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Caffenol sounds really cool (I haven't mixed my own yet), but if I were in a photo class I think it would be really cool to see the image come out in a developer that I made from a few items.

By the way, if you want to show the differences in developers I would try a paper developer (ex. Dektol), much larger grain as compared to a lot of traditional film developers. Have fun!
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd suggest Rodinal for the careful students, as they would see the different results from agitation and dilution quite clearly.

Alternatively, diluted print-developer (whatever you use in the lab) would certainly give a different 'look'.

Diafine might surprise them, and you can perhaps use a step-wedge or densitometer to demonstrate the actual difference in the scene-to-film tones.

And Caffenol, simply because it is so unusual for students who have possibly always thought film-photography requires a PhD in chemistry!

Which couple to choose might depend on the individual student, and on covering all the options between the group for discussion later. It might also be an idea to get the group to mix their own fixer from 'ordinary stuff' they (or you) have bought from the swimming-pool supplies shop, as sodium thiosulphate (old traditional fixer) is used for some sort of chlorine reducing purpose apparently. Have fun!
    Last edited by MartinP; 05-25-2012 at 03:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: readability etc.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Valerie View Post
    Looking for some ideas here.....I'd like my Photo II students to experiment with using film developers other than our standard D76. I want them see that different developers can effect their film in different ways (grain, tonality, etc). So, if I were to provide 2 additional film developers, what would you suggest?

BTW, most use Arista EDU ultra or Ilford films.
    Valerie, sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but the replies to this post are from very experienced workers with film photography. For your school students I would suggest you forget different developer effects and concentrate on teaching them to produce good prints from standard D76. they need to walk before they run.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Valerie, sorry to be the voice of dissent here, but the replies to this post are from very experienced workers with film photography. For your school students I would suggest you forget different developer effects and concentrate on teaching them to produce good prints from standard D76. they need to walk before they run.
    As I said, this is the Photo II class.... they already learned how to make good prints in Photo I. Now I want to push them to other things.

BTW, to all that suggested caffenol-- I have caffenol-developed negs drying now! I think this will be a great part to the "developers" lesson!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin