Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,270   Online: 762

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Developers for school lab

Looking for some ideas here.....I'd like my Photo II students to experiment with using film developers other than our standard D76. I want them see that different developers can effect their film in different ways (grain, tonality, etc). So, if I were to provide 2 additional film developers, what would you suggest?

BTW, most use Arista EDU ultra or Ilford films.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    If the toxicity is not an issue, I would suggest one of the pyro developers to have them experience a very different developer. Then perhaps X-tol as another different one.

I would think that hc-110 may not be different enough to be worthwhile.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal - so they can see what it is like.

Perceptol, so they can see what a "fine grain" developer does.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hi valerie

you could have them experiment with dektol, which is often used as a film developer.
    it gives a different look than d76 .. they say 1:7 7mins as a starting point.
    mad scientist thing with coffee ( caffenol C ) might be fun too easy to mix with teaspoons and no scales ( or exact measures! ) needed
    it can give a look anywhere from just like d76 to grainy and foggy any pyroesque without the worry of chemistry used.
    you can also add 1oz/32 of print developer into the caffenol .. it takes the edge off. i use ansco130 ...

good luck !
    john
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-21-2012 at 07:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Rodinal for sure.... and then maybe go the other way with a fine grain low acutance developer like Microdol-X.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A staining developer, WD2D+, PMK, whatever...

Then maybe Rodinal or HC-110
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Caffenol-C might be a great one to add to the mix?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgCl4ever View Post
    Rodinal for sure.... and then maybe go the other way with a fine grain low acutance developer like Microdol-X.
    I don't know whether an experiment with a discontinued developer (Microdol-X) is the best learning experiment for students - thus the recommendation for Perceptol from this long time Kodak user.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Microdol-X is available from Freestyle as a LegacyPro branded product.

I think Caffenol-C is a good choice. It's easy to make and can produce some pretty interesting results, and it's cheap. I'd also vote for Rodinal, also cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    +1 for Rodinal and similar ones (like R09 or Adolux, etc).. Really classic developer. Very flexible. Easy to work with. Long storage times.
    +0.5 for Caffenol-C - interesting process

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin