Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,282   Online: 1211

Shooter
    Medium Format

Water Temperature

In my darkroom, I have (at the moment) only cold water. The water temperature is appr. 12.5 Celsius (54.5 Fahrenheit).

When using liquid emulsion (Foma), I am aware, the the temperature of the water, when washing the paper must must not be too warm in order to avoid bubbles in the emulsion. However - is there a problem, using too cold water when rinsing? In my case, I would like to use running tap water - but is 12.5 Celsius too cold? And in case it is not, I assume, that the paper should wash a little longer?

BR
    Steen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Washing is a soaking out process. If the water is too cold it will take much longer to do the job. I believe you are better off to use 5 one minute soaks in water about 20 deg C.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford says washing double weight FB papers above 5C/41F should take about an hour. Looks like you're in that ballpark.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/200621111117720.pdf

My experience with liquid emulsion is that the longer the wet time, the more chance of bubbles and seperation. I'm sure this depends on the base material and handling. Just handle very carefully.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin