Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,292   Online: 877

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    At work, we ordered a bunch of those foot warmers. They give off a burnt rubber smell. Maybe seedling warming mats will work?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Are you sure cold trays are the problem? Could it be something else that is causing muddy prints? Fogged paper, exhausted dev, thin negs for starters?
    Developer (Ilford Multigrade) was mixed fresh just before printing. I opened a fresh pack of Ilford warmtone glossy 11x14s.

I got some nice keepers with excellent contrast after I warmed up the developer back to 70 F. But then it tapered off to producing the muddy ones. All 3 of the solutions, dev, stop and fix were quite cold to the touch.

I am going to give the 16 in. x 36 in. foot warmer a try. For $50 its worth a try. I will put it below all the 3 trays to keep the temp. around 70 F. I will report back on how it works.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a regular wet/dry heating pad under the developer tray in the winter, when I keep the house at 53F. I bought the pad at the drugstore for $12 or some such. It was the smallest lowest wattage pad I could find.

I put a towel under the heating pad to keep from warming the darkroom bench and another over the pad to limit the amount of heat getting to the tray.

The result works very well - the temperature stays constant even though there is no thermostat [which it should if the ambient temperature is constant].
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have two of these Kane pig warmers and you won't beat them with anything else. Set temp one time and they have kept it cosistently for several years.. They are almost indestructable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I have two of these Kane pig warmers and you won't beat them with anything else. Set temp one time and they have kept it cosistently for several years.. They are almost indestructable.
    I am tempted to get those Kane pig warmers as I have seen good feedback on APUG. However, I cannot see any difference between that and the foot warmer which is half the price!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about a waterbed heater? I believe that they have some water protection built in.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you do not wish to bother with more warmth try adding a bit of sodium carbonate to the developer (Try 5g per liter of working solution.) - David Lyga

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    I use a regular wet/dry heating pad under the developer tray in the winter, when I keep the house at 53F. I bought the pad at the drugstore for $12 or some such. It was the smallest lowest wattage pad I could find.
    This makes sense. Some come with adjustable levels of heat, you can find the setting that does the trick.

I have one of the long black footwarmers. But I use it for my feet. It does give off a rubber smell, but not noxious. I think if you used the long rubber heating pad you would need a way to switch it on and off regularly because it would probably get too hot. I wouldn't submerge it but it sounds like your trays are on a counter. You might want to cover it with a shower curtain or something to keep the chemical spills from staining the ribbed surface.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am using a terrarium warming mat that is actually designed to keep reptilias cosy. Comes in different sizes, mine is about 30x100cm so I can fit the three trays (24x30cm) on it. Works quite nicely - in fact, I have to monitor the temp because it may rise close to 25°C (or to 30°C if the trays are covered with a lid), and switch it off/on when needed. Gives no smell, doesn't take loads of electricity, and is not afraid of liquids - makes it easy to clean, too. Solved all my temperature problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin