Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,917   Online: 963

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

foot warmer for heating trays in darkroom

Last night I got frustrated with my wet printing because the trays got cold and kept making muddy prints. This is almost summer here but the AC makes all the cold air come down to the basement where my darkroom is. I have decided to invest in something to keep my trays warm. Besides a small space heater, I am considering a heated, waterproof blanket of some sort to put under the 11x14 trays.

Now, I am very aware of this great suggestion of the pig heater blanket in a APUG post:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/3...e-weeee-4.html

This blanket seems nice but is pricey.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	106122a.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	5.5 KB 
ID:	51488

As an alternative I came across these waterproof foot warmers on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Indus-Tool-FWB...792212&sr=8-16

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31VnoMGUdAL.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	51489

These are waterproof, sealed and the right size for me. Additionally these are much more reasonably priced than the pig warmers. I was wondering if any one else is using these for keeping their trays warm in darkroom. Do you think I can use these with dimmer switches to adjust the temperature? I don't want to add complexity of a submersible heater or even a thermostat. But I do have a waterproof digital kitchen thermometer that I can use to check the tray temp. once in a while. Any other thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Maybe turn off the ac or close a door.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might also want to consider insulating the darkroom to prevent the cold air (and keep it upstairs where it belongs). The easiest product would be reflectix or the stuff from http://www.insulation4less.com/. I've used both. These are not messy like most insulation.

Your electric heaters might be allright, but I'd not trust my life to them underwater, even if you do have a GFCI outlet to plug it into. If a footwarmer gets compromised on the floor, the path to ground will be the floor not your body. One product I have used outdoors in wet conditions (melting groundfrost) is the powerblanket. It doesn't get super warm. It'd be great for keeping trays warm, but it's kinda expensive.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry for not mentioning it before. My darkroom is in a bathroom which is already insulated.

Turning off the AC would be fine with me, but that might not go too well with the wifey especially because its hot upstairs where we sleep and I do my wet printing when everyone goes to sleep!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If your in the bathroom you can periodically change in warm or hot water into a double tray system, chemicals in a smaller tray, warm water in larger tray and stack the trays. Cheap, fast, and you will not electrocute yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also covering the trays when not immediately in use with an insulator may help.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kmallick View Post
    Last night I got frustrated with my wet printing because the trays got cold and kept making muddy prints.
    Are you sure cold trays are the problem? Could it be something else that is causing muddy prints? Fogged paper, exhausted dev, thin negs for starters?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There is a link on your Amazon site to Cozy Foot Warmers, 13"X20, rubber, 135f on the surface. For $46. That solves my problems right there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Maybe turn off the ac
    I was going to suggest that.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never experienced muddy prints from cold developer, only exhausted developer. Had fogged prints from bad safelight and old paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin