Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,874   Posts: 1,520,172   Online: 1036

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

beginner mistakes we all sometimes make

I forgot to wash my film enough, was in a hurry. found out later today when I had streaks of fixer :\ how bout you guys
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Developed an unexposed roll of 35mm bulk film the other day .....
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    About 10 years ago I developed a roll of hp5 with ddx 1+4-omitting the 4 parts water.I realized when I was pouring the developer out!I almost wept.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I finished the entire process and instead of treating my film with diluted photoflo, I soaked it in stock strength HCA. Discovered my mistake after few hours of drying. Luckily, complete washing and photoflo saved the film.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can say that I don't ever remember making a darkroom mistake that ended in screwed film.

But I forget to pull the darkslide on both medium format and LF before i shoot. Also cocked the shutter a few times with the darkslide pulled. Or rush portraits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    About 10 years ago I developed a roll of hp5 with ddx 1+4-omitting the 4 parts water.I realized when I was pouring the developer out!I almost wept.

I shot 36 exposures with no film loaded, once. My moment of realization was equally as hellish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wasn't a beginner, but I did it anyway. In about 1978, I decided to go to Big Sur and spend two days traveling its length, stopping at every turnout on the road. I had been there before, but never with that kind of time. I had my usual Kodachrome 25 and 64 with me.
    Partway through, I switched from K64 to K25 and forgot to change the ASA dial. I usually exposed at nominal film speed, though their tolerance for underexposure meant I knew I could get good pictures even when the meter said I couldn't, especially at sunrise or sunset. But this happened at midday. So I accidentally underexposed the K25 by 1 1/3 stops, thinking it was nominal. I was very upset with myself when I realized it. If only I'd compared the exposure settings to the conditions and film speed... but I didn't.

When I got the pictures back, I was stunned. The underexposed K25 was gorgeous! The colors had saturated as only Kodachrome could, deep and rich- more intense than reality, certainly, but still very real looking. The blue of the water took on a depth I'd never seen. The images were of the cliffs and sea, and the lack of shadow detail just made the cliffs look more dramatic. The sense of a very bright, clear day was portrayed better. My mistake turned into a delightful and fascinating discovery.

God I miss Kodachrome.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-24-2012 at 12:21 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: clarity
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Later will tell my mistakes......

To be continued......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For years I used identical bottles for develper, stop and fix always afraid I would make a mistake. Finally I put the fix in another kind of bottle to avoid the risk, only to make the mistake of exchanging fix and developer the first time with new bottles.
    Yes, I developed the film in fix only to fix it in developer later.

Luckily it was just a test roll to check out a new lens

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin