Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,547   Posts: 1,544,523   Online: 1012

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have been processing film in Pyro in a Jobo for over 15 years with no problem.. I cannot tell you how many runs but enough to say we have gone through over 10 lift arms with our various units.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Why do you want to use continuous agitation?
    I am very limited on space and intend to use my Jobo DuoLab.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by irishwoodpecker View Post
    I am very limited on space and intend to use my Jobo DuoLab.
    Forgive my ignorance, but what has limited space got to do with continuous agitation?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear irishwoodpecker,

Rodinal works just fine in my Jobo.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    you've probably been told to avoid rodinal because it exhausts quicker than other developers when used under constant agitation.
    Rodinal will not exhaust under any conditions when used at the proper concentration: minimum 10ml of concentrate per 80 square inches of film (1 roll 35mm etc).

Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Use two batches instead, one for the first 1/2 of development, one for the 2nd half.
    Where did that come from? What constitutes a "batch"? And what does "the first 1/2 of development" mean?

With continuous agitation you will not get any compensating effect, but that's true of all developers.

Rodinal has been my main developer for over 50 years, and I've never encountered a problem with it when used per the directions.

Of course there are always folks who think they know more than the manufacturer.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder where the rumor of stains not working with continious atigation started? I've run a lot of 120mm film in 510 Pyro on a Unicolor base with no issues.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what has limited space got to do with continuous agitation?
    hi cliveh:

the OP is using a rotary processor, so you put the film in ( rolls or sheets )
    and it turns and reverses and turns and reverses until the development is done.
    so what this means is the OP needs to use a developer that works with rotary systems.

from what they say, its a great way to get consistent processing every time.

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    I wonder where the rumor of stains not working with continious atigation started? I've run a lot of 120mm film in 510 Pyro on a Unicolor base with no issues.
    It is not a rumour. It is relevant to the use of older formulas. Some modern staining formulas work well, but others might not. Testing is required. Streaking due to aerial oxidation can be a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebarger View Post
    [where did the idea of] stains not working with continious atigation start?
    I wasn't saying staining developers don't work in a Jobo.

What I, and others, have noticed is that (1) sheet film, (2) in spiral reels, (3) in a Jobo, (4) and with pyro/catachol developers develops more at the edges than in the middle - more so than with plain-ole D-76 & Co.. If you aren't doing (1), (2), (3) and (4) then this bit of anecdote is of no interest or use.

Also Pyro developers that oxidize quickly - ABC Pyro comes to mind - will develop terrific general (non-image) staining due to aerial oxidation caused by the constant minor turbulence [normally a very good thing] that goes on inside a spinning Jobo drum. That is the reason for Rollo Pyro with its addition of Ascorbic acid as both an anti-oxidant and a developing accelerator - Rollo develops in about 1/2 the time of traditional pyro formulations, 1/2 the time = 1/2 the general stain [or that is the theory].

PMK and P'Cat are also said to work well in a Jobo.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For in your Duolab in rotary development:

+ The mentioned Pyro developers
    + CG-512 1+4 (always on 24C)
    + Xtol/Fomadon Excel W27 1+1 - 1+3
    + HC-110 dil H
    + D74 1+15 - 1+19.

- Rodinal in rotary will give much less acutance then inverse processing. Even the biggest problem is 24C which gives a lot of extra grain. So certainly not the first choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin