Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,245   Online: 737

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    its always fun to see what others do to make their photographs.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've painted in the darkroom a bit...expose a sheet of paper to the point where you know it will be pitch black and use developer on a brush..It's VERY difficult, it's like painting with watercolor on RC paper, runs off and pools up. I'd imagine fiber would be easier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    taking out the big ol 16x20, placing it on the (easel?) table... And then loading the negative carrier, framing, and focusing all under red filter from enlarger? ugh. Please, paper out last, focus on top of old scrap, focus with white light. I also like the fact that he makes a big ol test strip for pretty much no reason as the finished print had no other tones except black. Then he paints a smiley face... haha thats art for you.

Hes basically doing selective development by painting on developer, rinsing it, and then (stop maybe or not) fixing it. Ive had lots of my students play with painting with chemicals, mostly with fixer though, they make for pretty fun photograms or whenever a sheet is exposed accidentally.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't wish to be overly critical, but this was more like a scene from a horror movie to me. With all those eyes and smiling lips dripping black blood and the rest, it was quite spooky. This seemed more like a struggle to break out of an artist's block, than to create something serious. Photography is better than that. By cutting up that 16x20 to 8x10s, I'm sure by the 4th sheet he would have arrived at a satisfying print of something, well, interesting.

He could be way more creative in that darkroom. Messing around with chemicals this way is a bit old and tired. Drawing with ink on paper is not bad, either, is much cheaper and has greater controllability.

Well applied selective techniques can be beautiful and powerful, but this one just isn't. Sorry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What part of the word "Artist" is not well understood? We photographers must be cautious about letting a piece of glass affect our vision.

Best to all who love to work in the dark.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We used to do this when I was in college in the early 70's (went well with the hippy culture). It can be difficult to control, as F/1.4 points out. It can also be fun and isn't for everybody, but it can teach students a lot about exposure and development and how the chems work.
    I would also put the paper up last, as pointed out, don't know why he feels he has to focus on the paper.
    I don't remember it being a technique which lasted very long with anyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by johnielvis View Post
    iteresting--it's gives me the idea of how to get line drawings from a print....a way to isolate the outlines
    You can use a film such as kodalith, or progressively print higher and higher contrast using filters, and copy those over and over. There was one he laid out from the portfolio scene which I think he did with a mask as the lines are very sharp on the edges.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A nice reminder. Thank you for sharing.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought all students tried this?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin