Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,168   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Storing chemicals in aluminum?

One of my favourite brands of coffee, (Illy), which is a once in a while treat because of it's price, comes in a well-made aluminum can which has a screw-on lid with a plastic liner. The can itself has no plastic liner, but seems to be coated with something, probably to avoid the coffee from developing (no pun intended), a metallic taste. It is absolutely air and light tight.
    Does anybody have experience with storing chemicals in aluminium? Could there be a reaction?
    I've been reading this site on and off for a bit, and just subscribed because it's great to read about photography and its processes instead of electronic bits and software programs. And, the members are friendly and helpful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There could be a bad reaction from using aluminium. I know if you use it in cooking, certain ingredients are effected and change color etc. The same ingredients wouldn't change if using stainless steel. The coffee that I use had been using plastic and has now switched to a metal lined cans. I was thinking the same thing as you. Then I remembered my days as a Chef!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a good idea as aluminum is a very reactive metal. Even if it is coated as you believe any imperfections in the coating render it useless.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I look at it like this: Photographic chemicals are specifically designed to react with metal.

Thus, keeping your valuable chemistry in metal containers would create suboptimal storage conditions, at best.

Would it not?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    use your coffee tins for nuts, bolts, tools, soil, plants, paintbrush cleaning tank &c
    but don't use them for photochemistry.
    aluminum will do its ionic transfer thingy and react with your developer and fixer.
    i think it is reinhold ( here on apug )who uses aluminum foil to plate out the silver
    from his spent fixer.
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dark brown glass with good plastic caps. Use glass marbles to displace air... careful easing them in until there's a layer of marbles on the bottom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aluminum dissolves in alkalies. The reaction is very rapid above pH 12, and slower at lower basic pH levels, evolving hydrogen and usually an aluminum oxide crud that contaminates the solution. Developers and basic fixers are a definite no-no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a tin of Illy pods for espresso. It came free with the machine. It was a VERY poor substitute for fresh roasted and freshly ground beans. Nice enough can, but I wouldn't use it for chemicals or recommend the coffee.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use the coffee to develop your film.

Throw the can away.

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    35mm
    It looks like a consensus to me. Thanks for the responses, I'll use the cans in the shop for something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin