Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,549   Online: 1087

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Question regarding multiple roll development compensation

Believe it or not for the first time in 8 years I'm developing more than one roll in a tank at a time. I had a large shoot where I ended up with 12 rolls of 120 to develop. My question is do I need to add time to the developing times to compensated for a second roll of film, or do I stick with my current times. FWIW it's delta 100 and 400 and I'll be developing in DD-X.

Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Stick with your current times.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Stick with your current times.
    +1
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only thing that changes is your fill/dump time, but as long as your development time is longer than six minutes, I wouldn't worry about it. Stay with your single-reel tank times.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure you have enough developer in the tank (active ingredient, not just enough volume to cover).

And if you are using Paterson reels, are you aware that you can load 2 rolls on the same reel?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know this makes no sense and I'm a bit weird in this way, but I don't like the idea of developing multiple rolls in one tank.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I know this makes no sense and I'm a bit weird in this way, but I don't like the idea of developing multiple rolls in one tank.
    You're right, you are weird!

Actually, I don't like developing two rolls of 120 in a single tank. There's two much space left at the top of the tank, and I don't like the reels sloshing around in the liquid. I was taught that the film should move through the developer, not the developer through the film, so I don't like extra space in the tank. I always fill the tank, no matter how much (or how little) liquid is needed to cover the reels.

If I could find something to act as a spacer, to keep the reels at the bottom of the tank, I'd be fine with developing multiple reels in a tank.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seadrive View Post

If I could find something to act as a spacer, to keep the reels at the bottom of the tank, I'd be fine with developing multiple reels in a tank.
    An empty reel works perfectly.

Or for Paterson tanks, the clip designed for that purpose.

Or for 35mm, a film canister with the bottom cut off, slid over the central core.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    An empty reel works perfectly.
    There isn't enough room for another 120 reel, but... a 35mm reel might be perfect!

Thanks for the idea!

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Or for 35mm, a film canister with the bottom cut off, slid over the central core.
    Yup I do this, nice and simple solution, saves me from washing more reels, and doesn't impede the flow of chemicals. I posted some pictures somewhere of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin