Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,819   Online: 839

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Fomapan 100 came blank after developing with Rodinal 1+50.

I just got a blank roll of Fomapan 100 after developing with Rodinal 1+50. Camera used was Olympus OM-2sp.

My initial suspicion is the film is not taking up clearly in the take up spool, even though I felt the tension during cocking everytime but during rewinding I felt tension only for couple of wounds after that it was free.

Are there any other reasons for getting a blank roll.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could be underexposed. Was your camera's ASA set to 100? Even underexposed, I would think you'd see something.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It was set to 100.

I suspect the film has came out from the take up spool after door was shut.

I Just noticed with an another roll during loading. I tried to cock it two time before I shut the door, but during the second cocking the leader just came out from the take up spool.

Also, after 36 expsoures I still can able to cock the shutter. So, it is my mistake that I did not check it cleanly before I shut the door.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sounds as if the film has not gone though the camera, when using 35mm I always tighten the film with the rewind after winding 1 frame, then make sure the rewind knob turns as I wind the film on, this after I had the same problem. I had not attached the leader to the take up spool properly, know I am carefull to check the first few frames.
    Richard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think your initial assessment is correct. The film didn't advance. When I shot 135 I always loaded my camera as follows...

Make sure the film tongue is pushed well into the take-up spool groove.
    Advance one frame with the back open while using light finger-pressure to keep the film slightly taught.
    I also used another finger to keep slight pressure on the film at (on) the take-up spool.
    Use the rewind knob to put very slight tension on the film.
    Close the back while continuing to keep the film under slight tension.
    Advance the film to frame 1 while releasing the tension on the rewind knob and...
    Watch the rewind knob turn while advancing the film.

I learned the above procedure after losing, what I thought at the time, was a very important roll of film. It was a fail-safe method for me for years. Yes, it might waste one frame of film but it's worth it, IMHO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nevertheless, it was a test shoot of my first fomapan 100. I will make sure things go right next time...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Watch the rewind knob as you advance the film it should turn. If it doesn't you have a problem.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    This is the 2nd thread I've seen today posted on forums about negs from rodinal coming out blank. I've had a 2 year unopened bottle of Rodinal I wanted to try today of all days.(usually I use HC110) so I was afraid this was sign that my negs were gonna come out blank for sure. Well thankfully they came came out. Right now they are hanging to dry. I used Arista EDU400. I really like this film in HC110. I hope Rodinal will look ok as well since this is my 1st time with Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is certainly not a problem with Rodinal at all. Since, I got the film markings right aftert the development. So, it was the problem during loading the film somehow the film got slipped out of rewinding spool.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Was the leader/tongue (the part exposed to light during loading) developed? (should be 'black')

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin