Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,331   Posts: 1,537,213   Online: 862

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Best way to remove a print stuck to glass.

Only known copy of a print now stuck to glass in a frame. How can it be easily removed without damage to the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put the glass with the paper stuck to it in a tray of water and let it soak for a long time (at least an hour, more won't hurt), then you can try to start to very slowly peel the paper off. If you feel the slightest resistance, don't pull but continue soaking.

This happened to me with unimportant prints in the past and the only time tiny pieces of emulsion got torn off was when I didn't let it soak long enough. Be patient with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Adding a couple of drops of photoflo helps the water get between the glass and the emulsion as well.
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could also try contact printing if you really need the shot.
    Everybody has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.
    My Website and Gallery is at www.bcarlsonmedia.com
    My Twitter is @brendancarlson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rkmiec View Post
    Only known copy of a print now stuck to glass in a frame. How can it be easily removed without damage to the print.
    Hi, I'd think twice - it might be better to leave the print stuck to the glass - trying to remove it will almost certainly damage it. If you really have to remove it, I think you should scan it at high resolution or make a good quality copy before trying anything.

You don't mention the print's vintage. Do you know whether it's on resin or fibre paper? Resin prints are a little more resilient than fibre prints. If it's pre-1980 it's more likely to be fibre - if it's pre-1900 it could be an albumen or collodion print.

Soaking the print and glass in water, as suggested by Aron, is probably the only way you'll remove a stuck print.

Good luck,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    same thing happens to me
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum46/7...ou-remove.html
    warm water, photoflo seems to work
    i up, and just ended scanning mine, glass and all ..
    good luck !
    john

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin