Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,959   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper expiration

I got some unused 8x10 fiber and rc paper from Adorama. I bought these about 9 months ago and since then it has been stored in a cool dark closet.

I was going to order some paper today but I'm unsure if I need more at this size. I don't know if it is expired or not because I don't know the expiration date. I'll probably try some out anyways just to be sure but what's the typical expiration for these things?
    Last edited by msbarnes; 05-29-2012 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Under those conditions the paper should be good for a few years yet. I have some paper in my stash from as far back as 1948. Now that stuff needs a bunch of restrainer!
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have boxes of paper 2 years old or so at room temperature. They are fine. I also have few more boxes that I don't plan to use for a while in sealed bags in refrigerator.

According to Simon (who runs Ilford), its paper products are good for at least few years - longer if kept refrigerated. He said something about not putting expiration dates because retailers went nuts when done.

My understanding is, their life span is in years not months. I seem to recall a figure, 5 years, being tossed around as a safe expectation.

My suggestion to you is only buy what you expect to use in a year time - and not more. This is because your taste in paper will change, not because they go bad.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you like it buy plenty of it and freeze it or the next time you go to get some it might have disappeared.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi msbarnes,

I have some thirty year old paper (Agfa Portiga-rapid) lurking in my darkroom, which is absolutely fine - so your 9 month old paper is a proverbial spring chicken, so go ahead and use it.

Cheers,
    kevs
    testing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    According to Simon (who runs Ilford), its paper products are good for at least few years - longer if kept refrigerated.
    I think he gets a little help from some other directors and quite a lot of dedicated staff

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    I think he gets a little help from some other directors and quite a lot of dedicated staff

pentaxuser

Simon,

Is this true? I thought it was you who personally cut and packed my box of paper....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been using some graded paper: Forte Fortezo and the grade 4 is looking like grade 3. I read somewhere that that is standard for aged graded paper. But beside that it is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used last week some paper that expired on my date of birth, 1965 :-)
    Some fog but.. Beauty !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Strangely enough I do get just a little help........from 240 dedicated and highly capable people across so many disciplines and skill sets, the vast majority of which have many, many years of loyal service. They used to say if you stayed a month at ILFORD you stayed for life. But it always helps when you love what you do, I think apart from the fact its photographic and fundamentally creative and that the people who use our products hopefully get great enjoyment from them WE ACTUALLY MAKE THINGS.....raw materials come in one end and finished products go out the other and then we export 90% of them around the world.

Making things matter, inventing things matter, quality matters, analog photography matters, silver prints matter, creativity matters, skill and craft matter, art and photography matter not just its past, but its present and its future, and thats really about creative people who wish to record our world as they see it...... pure and simple.....and the most important thing from a business perspective
    is really very simple you are all our customers, and that actually matters most of all, whether you spend $ 10 or $ 10,000 a year......to win a customer can take a lifetime, but a lifetime customer you can lose in a second.....

Now I am off my hobby horse.... to the the question, store monochrome paper ( whoever made it ) in a dark, cool and dry area and it should be absolutely fine for a minimum of 5 years with no appreciable loss of quality. When you finish using paper in the darkroom, wrap it back in the polybag, make sure the poly bag is folded over and secure the lid with a piece of tape.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin